Need help with music tracks

Don’t want them, can’t use them…

Hi everybody.
My first post, although I’ve used nTrack for about six years now.
I just downloaded the newest version, and my computer is old…have to be kind to it.
Thing is, I sing in acappella when I’m recording, unless I’m using a downloaded instrumental to sing with.
I haven’t a clue as to how to use the music tracks available, and it confuses the heck out of me.
I just want to SING MY SONGS and not have to spend frustrating hours for me trying to get these tracks to go away.
Is there anyone that can help me with this, Please ???
I have songs to sing and I was able to turn off all the tracks except the drum beat.
I am going stir crazy.
Sorry if I offend the musician who created them, but acappella is my thing.
So, please, can someone help me ?
Thank you…

Linner
:peace:

new song. new file? top left Edit…

dontcare :cool:

I can see why you use the name ‘dontcare’…it seems you don’t.
I thank you for answering, but your brief instructions don’t work.
I have always been able to start recording using headphones by pushing the record button.
It’s getting the music tracks out that I’m having trouble with.
Now it’s telling me that it can’t find the file my songs are stored in and I didn’t even ask for that, plus I haven’t even sung the song yet.
Now, if you really don’t care, is there anyone else that answers to this particular forum that can help me, please ?
I’m not a dummy with this program, I just haven’t gone to nTrack college and don’t know all about the language and the technical stuff.
I use this program for my personal needs and it has always done well by me.
I am just having a tough time with it right now.
Thank you…Linda

go back to whatever version it was you were supposedly using for 6 years. :laugh:

there’s just too many things that could be happening with your old song files or the soundcard settings when you upgraded to V6 for us to diagnose your problem with such a brief and vague description.

out the 150 words in your OP only 8 of them were used to articulate the problem:

trying to get these tracks to go away.

rightclick the track, delete.

jerm
:cool:

Hi, Linda!
I don’t quite understand what you are asking.
I think you are singing to backing tracks that you use to guide your performance, and then when it comes time to mix down your recording, you want to end up with only your vocal tracks – is that it?
If so, all you need to do when rendering your final mix is mute the tracks you don’t want to hear in that final mix.
Please pardon me if I have misunderstood your question.

Mr. Dontcare is really named Jeremy, and is a really nice guy; he meant no disrespect, I am absolutely certain.
:agree:

from PM.

Quote:

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SUCH A JERK…WANT TO SAY SOMETHING ELSE BUT NOT SURE IF IT’S ALLOWED.
WHAT’S IT COST YOU TO BE CIVIL TO SOMEONE.
I MAY NOT BE A HOTSHOT WITH THIS PROGRAM BUT THAT’S NO REASON TO BE SUCH AN ASS.
I DID DELETE THE OTHER MUSIC TRACKS, BUT THE DRUMBEAT DOESN’T SHOW AS A TRACK, IT JUST AUTOMATICALLY PLAYS WHEN I START TO RECORD.
I DON’T KNOW HOW TO TURN IT OFF.
AND I APOLOGIZE FOR THAT SIX YEARS THAT I MENTIONED…I LOOKED AT MY CONTRACT AND I BOUGHT IT IN JANUARY OF 2007…SO SORRY FOR BEING INCORRECT.
I THINK I’LL HAVE BETTER LUCK IF I JUST CONTACT FLAVIO.
YOU ARE SUCH A JERK.
SURE WOULDN’T WANT TO BE IN YOUR SOUL…DARK PLACE, FOR SURE.

LINNER

calm down…and slow down…

I am sure my “soul” will recover from the dark abyss…(being the only one who tried to help you)
:laugh:
you can consider this tho, Luke 6:45.
if it makes you feel better to take out your frustation on me fine, I have broad shoulders so mound it on :)

you are welcome btw, I already gave you the best advice in my last post (go back to the older version) unless we know more about what is actually going wrong we can’t help you by guessing.

Tom, I suspect the newer version is having trouble finding files or playing them (16bit to 24bit conflict) since they were saved in different directories or formats…but hard to say from a 8 word description of the problem.

dontcare

Hi Tom,

I have had nTrack since 2007, and used version 5 for a very long time.
Then I had a problem and was instructed by Flavio to download a newer version.
Each time I do, the music tracks are automatically on there and I don't know how to use them, so have to delete them.
This time, when I deleted them, I started to record, but the demo drums track starts to play and I don't know how to turn it off.
Also, probably due to a problem with my computer, now when I click Record, a window pops up and says the file folder I'm looking for can't be found.
And I haven't even asked for a file, I just want to sing a new song.

Since I don't know how to use the music tracks,
I sing acappella only, and add one or two harmony tracks over top of the original track.
I've tried to understand those music track parts of the program, but it's like a foreign language to me.
I just don't understand the language and have no one else that uses this program that I know to compare notes with or ask for help. So they are of no use to me.
That is why I joined the forum, knowing I would probably look like a dope, in the hopes of getting some help.
I have Windows XP on a 2004 HP computer, 32 bit.
I don't know what other information you might need, Tom.

I use this program extensively and love it, but this is frustrating me so much.
I have five songs lined up to sing and can't do a darn thing.
I have my music files stored on my external hard drive, since they take up so much space, but this window popping up is new and I have to figure that deal out now.
I only need help with turning off that drumbeat track…the rest is my problem.
By your recommendation, I will accept that ‘dontcare' Jeremy is a nice guy, but we sure had a rocky beginning.
I stated my problem and got slammed…he got a private message.
Nuff said.
I hope someone can help me.

Thank you…Linda

So…PRIVATE MESSAGE doesn’t really mean PRIVATE…okay, have run into that before. Jeremy, I didn’t come in here to load anyone down or even expect to find a problem on top of the problem I already had. I apologize, and hope those broad shoulders will accept.

I DID DELETE THE OTHER MUSIC TRACKS

hmmm…so my being a jerk here:

Quote:

rightclick the track, delete.

payed off! :p

BUT THE DRUMBEAT DOESN’T SHOW AS A TRACK, IT JUST AUTOMATICALLY PLAYS WHEN I START TO RECORD

now we are getting somewhere, that is why I posted your response in the thread,

perhaps now someone who knows more about the Ntrack drums feature will be able to assist you with your problem (now that they know what the problem is)… ???

Quote: (linner @ Jan. 20 2012, 10:28 AM)

So...PRIVATE MESSAGE doesn't really mean PRIVATE...okay, have run into that before.
Jeremy, I didn't come in here to load anyone down or even expect to find a problem on top of the problem I already had.
I apologize, and hope those broad shoulders will accept.

apology accepted Linda,

there is no problem here, accept us understanding what you machine is doing so we can help, you gave us more hints in the PM so I was hoping that could lead down the road to someone with knowledge here to help.
:D

Quote:

Hi Tom,

I have had nTrack since 2007, and used version 5 for a very long time.
Then I had a problem and was instructed by Flavio to download a newer version.
Each time I do, the music tracks are automatically on there and I don't know how to use them, so have to delete them.
This time, when I deleted them, I started to record, but the demo drums track starts to play and I don't know how to turn it off.
Also, probably due to a problem with my computer, now when I click Record, a window pops up and says the file folder I'm looking for can't be found.
And I haven't even asked for a file, I just want to sing a new song.

I'll be the first to tell Flavio that was pretty crappy advice, IMHO.
If you had a problem already with V5 on your system it would have been better to get down to the bottom of it FIRST before trying to upgrade.

Perhaps he knows something we don't, (he does know whatever your original problem was) and perhaps the newer build V6 fixed some bug your original problem was a symptom of.

Personally I have problems with V6 myself, but that is more PC and external hardware related than software, V5 just runs better with my complicated set up (look at the experimental circuitry in my avatar) that is a wireless Midi soundcard, so I use V5 and it's fine.

I don't know too much about the Ntrack drums in 10 years I have never had the need to use them.
However, if I was to have to venture a guess as to where to turn them off or on audibly I would think the metronome area would be a good place to start.
In there I notice little boxes that you can click or unclick to hear or NOT hear during playback or recording, the icon for it is a little picture of a metronome on the top of the program.

I'm sorry that I cannot be of more assistance, but that is all I know about the drums and your problem based on the post thus far.

Quote:

a window pops up and says the file folder I'm looking for can't be found

I think I have had this problem with an upgrade in the past too...

I am trying hard to remember what caused it and how it got fixed... ???

whenever Ntrack first opens it opens the LAST file you were working on (unless you make settings otherwise).
IF this is the case the program is looking for a file (which may not be music tracks anymore since you deleted them, could just be mixer settings, faders, pan etc) that you were last working on,
if these files were on an external drive and that is not plugged in or the new Ntrack is having a hard time finding the original path to them you will get that prompter when you press play or record (since record button initiates play too sometimes depending on your settings)

The best remedy I have found for that is to start a NEW song file, then save it as "new song" or whatever you want to name it, then when you open Ntrack again it will open this new blank song file and will not have any associations with past files, of course I mentioned that in less detail in my first post.
:agree:

dontcare

I appreciate your frustration.
There are few things more frustrating than having something that used to work suddenly not work any longer.
Here are some suggestions hopefully something in the list will help.
>Hopefully you saved the files as songs.
If you use Windows Explorer you can do a search for the files by entering *.sng.
That will give you a list of the songs that you have saved.
Regardless of what version of Ntrack that you are using when you do a File >
Save a.sng file is created. It will open in any version of N_track unless you had a bunch of effects that you no longer are using (that Might cause probelms, but usually not.
>If a song file will not load correctly you can bring the information from all of the tracks (sound files) into the Ntrack program by using the menu item File > Import Audio file.
Using Windows Explorer again, do a search for *.wav and see if you can discover where the sound files are located on your computer.
If you’ve been recording your files as MP3 files than the search command is *.mp3
Once you locate where the sound files are on the computer. In N-track select File > Import Audio File and go to that location and select the sound files you want to Import.
With that location open and highlight all of the files that you would like to load into Ntrack for a particular song.
You can do this with click and drag across the files if they are side-by-side or if they are scattered select the sound files to be imported by highlighting the file and with a Right click + CTRL key.
I hope this helps.

Bax

Thanks, Jeremy…very much. I tried forever and ever to get V5 back again, but all I can get are the new downloads. When I try to download the 32 bit version, there is no clicking option…all you get is what they got ! Maybe I should try to download an older version again ? I’ll check out the metronome theory first and let you know what happens. Thanks for that advice…of course, still open for more !!

Linner

Quote: (linner @ Jan. 20 2012, 11:35 AM)

I tried forever and ever to get V5 back again, but all I can get are the new downloads.
When I try to download the 32 bit version, there is no clicking option...all you get is what they got !
Maybe I should try to download an older version again ?

that's an easy:

you may have to register there also to be able to download (don't ask me why but our registration to this forum is separate from the download area)

uninstall V6 inside Windows, then re-install 5, who knows the reinstall of V5 might fix whatever the original problem was in the first place (because it has been updated on a few occasions since 6 years ago) or it might just fix it by chance that something was missing from the file (dll's get wiped out sometimes from viruses for example)

I share your frustration. Getting something to work that usually works and now doesn’t is a real drag. For instance, this is the second time I have posted this response.
If I am reading your original question correctly you are saying you cannot locate the sound files that you usually use when you record. Here are some suggestions that might help:
first you need to locate where the files are on your computer.
You can do this using Windows Explorer.
OPen Windows Explorer Search and type *.sng. The .sng is the file that is created by Ntrack when you press the File>Save. The * is a universal sign for any file name on the computer. The File > Save command saves all information about the sound files and how you have altered them to create a particular song. Once you find the song files (any file name.sng) you should be able to open them with your Ntrack in the normal manner.
If you cannot find the song files or you did not save them you can do a search for the sound files that were created and/or are stored on your computer. Using the Windows Explorer search for *.wav files. If you recorded in the MP3 format your search would be *.mp3.
Once you have located where the song files or sound files are located on your computer you can open the individual files with the command File > Open. This is what you would normally use open a song file. If the song files are corrupted or cannot be located you can bring the individual tracks into the Ntrack program by using the command File > Import Audio File and go to the directory where the sound files are located. If the sound files are together in a line you can click on the top one hold down the mouse button and drag across all of them to open them into the program. If the sound files are scattered within the directory click on the first sound file you want to open and then use Ctrl + click to select the files that you want to open.

One of those methods ought to work to load up it any of the sound information that you have located on your computer.
I hope this works,
Bax

BY the way - going back to versiojn 5 should Not be necessary. Any version of Ntrack will load a sng file from previous versions. Any version of Ntrack will use wav or mp3 format (if not that would be at version 2 which I have not used)

by the way - any version of Ntrack will open song files from previous versions - I know 5 to 6 works without probalms.

WOW !! Trying to keep up here !!
Hi Bax…I haven’t lost any of my music files.
I keep them on my external hard drive and they’re all there, safe and sound, in wav form.
I have a separate folder there that I keep my MP3’S in after they’ve been converted, too.
I just have to fix something about that window that keeps popping up as well as getting rid of the drums track.
I have a few things to keep me busy here, and if I’m successful, will report to you all here.
Thank you so much for your help…that was a lot to type !!!
By the way, I got both posts.

Linda :agree:

Hey Jeremy…THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK !!!
I really miss that version !!
But I’m going to try what you suggested first before I start deleting everything.
Would have to do a search to find all the files associated with this version, then delete them and start out fresh with a new download.
I’ll let you know what happens, okay ??
I sure am happy that we ain’t feudin’ now !!

Thanks…Linda
:)