New member introducing myself.

Welcome, Joe.
“Pocket Sax” New to me - and now I need one;-)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xaphoon…&sr=8-1
Tell us about it?

Joe, that is really good, I agree, great voice.

Tony, I have a pocket sax, figured I could make a few noises out of it, they are darn hard to play. Of course, i got mine at a Renaissance Festival for 30 bucks.

Pocket Sax (or Xaphoon) is a reed instrument (takes a “Tenor Sax” reed) that is slightly larger than a recorder. Tone wise, it sounds quite a bit like a Bb Clarinet in it’s lower notes but moving up through the range of the instrument you pass through alto sax and finally soprano sax sonic territory. It is quite expressive and certainly difficult to master as wind instruments generally are. You can find out all about it HERE.

Hhmm! :slight_smile: Cheers, guys - think you just bagged me a 21st prezzy for my daughter.

and, maybe, one day, an ewi.

The sample on that page shows the biggest problem with it - intonation is really a bear. Not a simple instrument, in spite of what it looks like. But what an amazingly organic sound. Joe, you ever collaborate?

Intonation on ANY reed instrument has as much to do with technique as any other factor. When I play my Xaphoon I have to be conscious of my embechure or I go way Sharp or flat. There is nearly a half step on either side of any fingered note on xaphoon. I used to play clarinet and alto sax and the effect is similar.
And yea, I do collaborate. What did you have in mind?

Nice tune and production. That’s it - carry on…

Thanks, Poppa!

Quote: (JoeD4 @ Jan. 23 2011, 7:34 PM)

Intonation on ANY reed instrument has as much to do with technique as any other factor. When I play my Xaphoon I have to be conscious of my embechure or I go way Sharp or flat. There is nearly a half step on either side of any fingered note on xaphoon. I used to play clarinet and alto sax and the effect is similar.
And yea, I do collaborate. What did you have in mind?

No idea, just asking. That really is a wonderful sound. :agree:

Sure is. Someone once handed me a tiny sax claiming it was a sapranino. More recently, in a music shop, I held another but this one was quite a lot bigger. Confused?

I’m amazed at the people who can really PLAY wind instruments… especially wood winds. I can’t play a freakin’ dog whistle… :laugh:

Heh… I remember as a kid trying out for band in sixth grade. I wanted to play Sax. Instructor handed me the horn, gave some instruction and worked patiently with me for a pretty good while. Then he says; “Okay! Trumpet player… NEXT!” :laugh:

BTW, when HE left, the new guy says; “You wanna play in band? You are REQUIRED TO MARCH!” I said; “Sayonara Jerk-hole”… (bunch of others did as well)

UJ

I was asked to fill in for a parade once on clarinet. I hated it! :disagree:

Odd story there, UJ. I had the same experience, 5th grade, I wanted to play sax, the teacher didn’t even try me out, just looked at me and put me on coronet. Wonder if it was what music teachers did with the…hem…less promising students?

What if it had been an Epiphone Coronet? That would have been cool.

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 24 2011, 2:12 PM)

Odd story there, UJ.
I had the same experience,
5th grade, I wanted to play sax, the teacher didn't even try me out, just looked at me and put me on coronet.
Wonder if it was what music teachers did with the...hem...less promising students?

What if it had been an Epiphone Coronet?
That would have been cool.

What I REALLY WISH (Hindsight 20/20 blah, blah...) is that my parents had MADE me take piano lessons. I know guys that started that way... something 'clicked' and somehow, these dweebs can play any darn thing they get their hands on. *sigh*

My bestest bud, is the same way but he started on guitar. We were without a piano player at church. He says; "Don't worry. I'll learn it." Couple weeks later and sure enough, he's playing keys... (*sigh* x 10)

Whatever 'natural gift' that is, I got SKIPPED and GIPPED! (Jipped? Sp? Whatever...)

UJ

IMO, a basic understanding of piano is invaluable to any musician. You see the entire chromatic scale laid before you and as you learn the instrument, the fundamental building blocks of music are reinforced not just by sound but by sight as well. It really helps when learning more advanced things such as chord theory, scales, modes,etc. Even users of the “Nashville Number System” (how I was brought up in music BTW) benefit greatly from having a “mental keyboard” in their head. Great way to train your ear to recognize the intervals essential to relative pitch, songwriting, chord structure, and chord construction. Just my 2 cents
:)

S’true - trying to learn theory when guitar, a nearly irrational instrument in terms of the way it’s laid out, is really a pain. Much easier to visualize with piano. I’m in the same camp as UJ - a lesson learned much much too late…

Well, I must make a confession. Although Ntrack 6 is a great piece of software it just doesn’t suit the my workflow. I have already initiated a refund including unregistering the software. I do like this community, so I must ask you all if you mind me hanging around even though I will not be using ntrack. Mother, may I?

They haven’t KICKED ME out yet… and I’m a jerk. :laugh:

I gave up on n mid V5. A few cool peeps around these parts though, so I return like a bad penny…

I’m sure you are welcome to hang out if they’ll put up with me…

UJ

Joe! Could you expand slightly on why n-T doesn’t suit your work flow?