new song for me, too.

sublime one

song production (along with all other kinds of productions) have come almost to a complete halt due to my back which has decided to flip out on me (sciatica).
therefore, although this was tracked 2 weeks ago, it’s taken me all this time (working in 10-minute bursts due to pain)to edit/mix it, and there was a lot of digital editing to do, since it wasn’t recorded all that well.

nothing tricky or mysterious about this one.
just a straightforward song, a rarity for me.
layers of guitars, organs, voices, bass, snare + ride, piano.

it’s called ‘sublime one’, and it’s here: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7135960

tear it apart, but have fun doing it, you jackals!

Sorry to hear you are having pain problems.
I’m having problems with the low-end of the mix on this one but then I know you have reasoning for most of what you present, so I’m gonna listen another 3-4 times before I turn into a jack…al.

I like the content though well written. Nice changes, the simplicity of the verses is quite a change. Wonderful vocal and acoustic blending. I’ll be back.

That’s a pretty spectacular production JDET. The talent of the people
here amazes me. Both comp and production.
The only thing I would change is the (distorted)guitar at the end.
I would re-do it with a different tonal quality (maybe HP filtered and EQ’d)
so it sits higher up in freq spectrum. It’s there, but it gets overwhelmed
in the mix. 9/10 Nice job. :agree:

Quote: (john doe's evil twin @ Dec. 10 2008, 12:10 PM)

song production (along with all other kinds of productions) have come almost to a complete halt due to my back which has decided to flip out on me (sciatica).
therefore, although this was tracked 2 weeks ago, it's taken me all this time (working in 10-minute bursts due to pain)to edit/mix it, and there was a lot of digital editing to do, since it wasn't recorded all that well.

nothing tricky or mysterious about this one.
just a straightforward song, a rarity for me.
layers of guitars, organs, voices, bass, snare + ride, piano.

it's called 'sublime one', and it's here: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7135960

tear it apart, but have fun doing it, you jackals!

Man that's very cool! I'm on laptop will listen again later when I'm downstairs with my speakers hooked up. I felt that it was a little abrupt at the end however. But it's got tuns of potential. Liked the lyrics in this one, also a little bluesy feel here and there with the keys, nice.

Wonder what his name is? Bob Doe? :laugh:

the folks named me jason, like just about everyone else born in the early 70’s. eesh.

thanks for the great input. i have to agree about the end solo guitar getting swallowed up in the mix. the end is abrupt largely because the solo wasn’t thought out well or played well either. i’ll see what i can do with it.

poppa’s right, there is something unsoothing in the bottom end of the mix. i heard it, wasn’t thrilled with the overall sonic picture, but i lack the capacity to pin it down and fix it.

I got hung’up reading!
That’s what I call monkey’business; one site sends you to another to read, who sends you to another to read more and the next thing you know hrs have passed.
A simple trial download link would work.
:laugh:
Still haven’t heard the bottom end. But I will before I hit the hay.
Like sCraig says; “This is a good place to get good opinions that will help”.
Don’t be in a hurry.
Relax your back!
And think what would John Paul Jones do? Hmmmmm> What would he do? Arpeggio! JOHN PAUL JONES BASS SOLOAND MORE
Levi

remix is up, i believe at the exact same link : http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7135960

adjusted the guitar sound at the end, triedc to clean up the bass end on the mastering eq, and some other subtle mix changes.

trying to rest the ol’ back, but tough with several chitlin’s runnin’ around getting paws into all sorts of mischief.

p.s. the bass guitar, which only plays during the chorus, is full of arpeggios, which are fun in 6/8 time.

Much better - bet that was a bear to mix. Love it!
:agree:

Jdet…I really like this…can’t find one single constructive criticism at all!! Good stuff, professional sounding recording.

Whats the effect on the vox in the verses? I’ve been looking for that for a while.

Fine fine harmonies.
I think this is one of your best mate.

Craig

Sounds really good Jason! You’ve got some sweet vocal sounds workin here! One heck of a hook in your choris. How did you manage to get such a big bass sound? It’s perfect.
Levi

bass tone comes from a series of plugins on a dry direct signal. i posted the chain before but i don’t remember where.

yeah, it was a bear to mix, which is why the remix had so many adjustments to redo, although subtle.

thanks again for the kind comments.

Have to oppose you on the ‘straightforward’ comment. Nothing you do is straightforward jdet, and that’s your strength. You never know what you’re gonna get when you open one of your songs, I like that! You have some stunningly original work and this is a great piece. Great bass sound and have to admit…I kinda like the distorted guitar :whistle:

Cheers,
Ian

Quote:

I kinda like the distorted guitar :whistle:

Me too - makes me want more and more.

wow, thanks all! those are such nice compliments it almost makes the nerve pain go … oooo, wait, it’s still there. dang it all. but very nice to hear all the same. the distorted guitars were all also recorded direct in and processed with different amp simulators. there’s at least four different sounds, even though they get jumbled together.

Hey I love the big ambient sound, nice dynamics contrast between the verse and choruses. I think the guit solo in the last chorus is in there just right. The bass really drives the whole thing. Great vocals, Good one!

JDET - WOW - the bass is really superb (nice remix)
You also got the guitar to punch thru on the end.
Now here’s my beef. The song is excellent (I mean ready for sale)
but the guitar at the end - very good til 3:30 then it starts to
lose the tightness of the rest of the song. When I say tightness, I
mean it’s not at the same level of control, which can be a good thing
but in this case I feel it detracts.
I know this is nit-picking but I like the song so much I feel like I’ve adopted it.
Anyway, see what you think.

Great post 7’o! We get so close to our songs trying to manage all the tasks, write, record parts, engineer, edit and produce that we really need to hear this from other musical people. Other than people who want us to feel good at anytime for any reason out side of makeing it the best it can be.
I agree about the ending riffs, Jason you know if you continue to work up a tastier part at the end it will only make you and the song stronger.
Umm I also felt that because the bass was so awesome in the Bridge area, that you still needed a little more bottom end during the verse.

Frank (drummer on hot blues cd) said it like this; “If it sounds like chitt tell me and we’ll try it another way”. Great attitude! Great results. (lol Frank was originally from Missouri) and did’t actually speek with that kind of an accent. :laugh:

:agree: Cool tune! :agree:

D