New version/build posted

v5.0.7 Build 2262

For anyone looking to upgrade n-Track from the version-and-build they are using, there is version 5.0.7 build 2263 available…

He calls the version 5.0.8 but I can only think it’s v5.0.7…

I’m downloading build 2263 as I post this… The version describes a “Meter Upgrade”… among other updates… It’ll be intriguing to see how these meters behave…

Bill…

For anyone looking to upgrade n-Track from the version-and-build they are using, there is version 5.0.7 build 2263 available…

He calls the version 5.0.8 but I can only think it’s v5.0.7…

I’m downloading build 2263 as I post this… The version describes a “Meter Upgrade”… among other updates… It’ll be intriguing to see how these meters behave…

Bill…

Thanks! Bill , i will be watching for 5.0.8 , right now i have v5.0.7 build 2265 .

Danny :D

Yea… b 2265… it is…
I’ve been tracking-and-editing with that build… I’ve been playing with it for some number of hours now…

There is some issues with timeline expansion and inserting-and-dragging parts of tracks onto the timeline that I am working and editing, with on a kick track…

Same thing on a bass track…

I found a work-around… so I’m able to edit with b 2265…O.K.

Bill…

Yea… b 2265… it is…
I’ve been tracking-and-editing with that build… I’ve been playing with it for some number of hours now…

There is some issues with timeline expansion and inserting-and-dragging parts of tracks onto the timeline that I am working and editing, with on a kick track…

Same thing on a bass track…

I found a work-around… so I’m able to edit with b 2265…O.K.

Bill…

I like it! , everything seems to work ok for me so far except i find the Aux channels routing and settings stuff a bit confusing but that will just take some time to get down.

:D

Danny

Hey guys, I downloaded the new version on Friday and began experimenting with it. The waveforms in the tracks look much different than in version 4. How do I make them look simpler and cleaner? I can’t find anything in the preferences for this issue.

I also had something very strange happen. I opened a song file in version 5, messed around with it, and then closed the program without saving it. When I opened that same file in version 4 the waveforms had that same odd look they had in version 5. If I didn’t save the file, how would these waveforms be changed to look different in version 4? Weird.

On your menu bar go to Settings / Waveform Display, to clean up the way the wavs look.

I believe the waveforms are calculated on the fly only once and then stored in the *.npk files associated with each wav file. To return to the old waveforms, you need to delete these files (or rename to be safe) and they will be auto-generated again.

Ta
John

Hi Captain and All:
You’re right… I con-fig the Waveform Display as…

I have NO check marks on any of the list that appears in the column, except the last three items, that appear there…

Bill…

I’m currently using vs 4.2.1 but I wonder if these new versions are worth upgrading.

The main thing that bugs me is volume envelope drawing that, frankly, sucks. The volume line is very hard to crab with a mouse (it won’t stick or it sticks to volume line of the tracks under the wanted track, it wants to make another nod when I only want to adjust the nod that’s already there… :angry: )

Is this feature fixed now?

And another one: if I already have installed the 4.2.1 version with windows net do I have to instal just the new version of N-track or do I have to install the windows net again?

For envelope drawing in v5, I don’t have any trouble grabbing the right points, as long as I’m zoomed in to an appropriate level. The only thing that would make envelope drawing better is the ability to draw a curve without going into ‘freehand’ mode and adding tons of points. It’s either add a lot over vertices or your lines go straigt up and down…

Regarding the dot NET framework question, I think as long as you’re running dot NET v2, you won’t have to reinstall that.

I’ve been pleased with the upgrade to n v5.

EDIT/volume pan drawing/fade settings -

click on ‘logarithmic’ radio button and tick ‘appearance’ box

Dr J

Quote (varakeef @ April 23 2007,05:22)
I’m currently using vs 4.2.1 but I wonder if these new versions are worth upgrading.

The main thing that bugs me is volume envelope drawing that, frankly, sucks. The volume line is very hard to crab with a mouse (it won’t stick or it sticks to volume line of the tracks under the wanted track, it wants to make another nod when I only want to adjust the nod that’s already there… :angry: )

Is this feature fixed now?

And another one: if I already have installed the 4.2.1 version with windows net do I have to instal just the new version of N-track or do I have to install the windows net again?

How do other programs do it? I use Orion, and there the volume and other parameter changes are done with an “events” editor that allow continuous adjustment in a separate window, with pencils and smoothing and such, a lot like that old program MS Paint program works. Different, but I have to say I like n-Track’s way of doing it. Actually, I like them both. ???

You can “set-up” the envelopes to draw them as curves automatically. Hold down the CTRL key and left click the fade icon (the black “wedge”) the Fade in/Out Preperties dialog box opens: option to “interpolate logaitmically between volume notes” is a check box. This draws a curve between all node points.
You can also select the “Shape” but I can’t tell what the results of that are.

Hi Gents:
If I remember correctly, Flavio fixed them and all was better. Then v5 was posted and there was no issues with the Nodes…

In My Opinion… Hanging on to out-dated n-Track versions-and-builds allows you to continue hanging on to “Past Issues”…

In that regard I see no reason for hanging on to and using outdated n-Track builds, on your DAWs… If you got an issue with a current build Flavio fixes the issue in a day-or-two by posting an updated build… or you ask the question up here on the Board and someone posts a reply to your question…

If you have .Net FrameWork rev.2 installed and working, then all you do is download the “Small” update of n-Track when you update the build. If your not running .Net FrameWork you download the BIG version of n-Track and then the Small download of n-Track, after that…

Is that correct… guys?

Bill…

Quote (TomS @ April 23 2007,09:00)
How do other programs do it?

Dunno... but I don't have problems whatsover with the working principle of the envelopes per se. I just want some accuracy to it: i want to be able to hit the point where I already made the envelope nod and adjust that, I don't want to make another nod accidentally when trying. (Sorry if I'm unclear, I mean that square in the enevelope line taht appears whenever you click the line with mouse)

It would be great if the mouse arrow would change appearence when ever it is over the point where the line is already adjusted (like in windows the arrow turns to double sided one when you're able to crab the farnme of a window).

I have work arounds like selcting an area and putting volume to zero and continue from there, but sometimes it's too much.

In My Opinion.. Hanging on to out-dated n-Track versions-and-builds allows you to continue hanging on to "Past Issues".. by woxnerw

Maybe I'm old fasnioned, but I don't like buying new products to replace old working one if I'm not sure the new one is so much better that it justifies the purchase.

Also I'm a bit hesitant of updating whenever I'm in the middle of a project - and I quite often am.

Hi varakeef:
Sorry… I didn’t add that comment to the post I made…

I was in the middle of drawing envelopes to tracks when the issue appeared with the “Drawing”… It seemed close to the end of v4’s… The guys who were editing levels with another track editor made no never mind to “Node Issue”…

There seems to be few users of only n-Track.

The last “Big Issue” I faced was when Flavio defaulted the “File Paths” to C;/My Documents… Every time I up-date to a new build I have to go on a big search looking for tracks on some 18 hard drives to assemble tracks for past projects on a timeline.

I find I have to make notes “Out-side” the boxes now… to find Tracks-and-Data. On recent projects I have refined how I store all this data…

Bill…

Varakeef, I think you have a very good point about having an “existing node” indicator. I’m having the same problem, N keeps adding new nodes instead of letting me select to old ones. You might want to make the suggestion to Flavio.
Woxnerw, I have not had the problem with where files are stored. I set the preferrences “way-back-when” and I keep reloading the old config file when I change versions, so, I’ve never had a problem with the files going somewhere other than where I have scheduled them. I’m sure you are familiar with the Preferrences so I don’t understand why the files are not going where you want them to go.

Wave files will go to the folder the song file is saved in by default, unless the preferences has been changed (temp files may be somewhere else, but we don’t care about them usually). One reason the waves may end up “gosh knows where” is if a new song is started and the song file has not been saved before recording. It’s always been a rule of thumb to create a new song and save that to where you want that song to be before ever recording the first wave. Once that has been done all waves are recorded into the folder with the song (the .sng file).

Quote (TomS @ April 23 2007,09:00)
How do other programs do it? I just want some accuracy to it: i want to be able to hit the point where I already made the envelope nod and adjust that, I don’t want to make another nod accidentally when trying. (Sorry if I’m unclear, I mean that square in the enevelope line taht appears whenever you click the line with mouse)

It would be great if the mouse arrow would change appearence when ever it is over the point where the line is already adjusted (like in windows the arrow turns to double sided one when you’re able to crab the farnme of a window).

when hovering the mouse over the node… left click once to select the node… once selected, right click once for options (including ‘remove node’)