Newest build - more stable than old versions?

Pole

The survey that is up seems to say that stability is a Big problem. But is it?

Any comments that would help - make 'um

Er… good idea bax… BUT, there is no build NEWER than 2065…

Typo maybe? ???

D – happy 2065 user…

I’ve had occasional “R6025 - pure virtual function call” crashes with 2065. Few of them while I was closing down the program anyway. Then they started to occur when I tried to record something. Re-installing nTS took that one away, but I’ve had another one when closing the program.

I have v. 4, build 2065 crashing incessantly and randomly on my new DAW system (P4, EMU 1820 soundcard, 2GB RAM, SATA disk, Windows XP sp2+) whenever I try to play a project. I am currently investigating into obvious causes (i.e. driver versions, setup issues, ASIO configuration etc.) for these crashes and will report my findings back to the Forum as I get these issues sorted out.

regards, Nils

My nTrack (2065) is also crashing sometimes (regularly).
But that is not much of a problem for me.
It never crashed during recording so I never lost anything.

I have made some software myself (windows 32-bit C and
assembler).
I just cant understand why nTrack has to crash all the time.

Is this program some sort of visual basic compilation ?

(try to go assembler ! When you made all windows and things it will be easier !)

/Goran

Has anyone else experienced the problem where any songs saved under a previous version of N have all the AUX faders that were at infinity are now set at -25 when you open the sng file in build 2065?

I re-installed and still the same problem…

Rich

Diogenes, and anyone else who wonders:
I added a question to leave this topic viable for a while.
If we are going to survey about Ntrack having a significant problem with stability, then we need to all be talking about the current build and version - unless comparing versions is the topic.
Build 2065 is the current last issued build that is not classed as beta.
Saying that there is a problem with an old build, does not correctly evaluate the current situation.
:;):

I SEE! (said the blind man) :)

D

Latest update re. stability:

I updated the drivers for the soundcard and the DSP mixer to the newest version, and now everything works perfectly!!

murmuring the ol’ mantra "drivers, drivers, drivers…"

I’m in DAW heaven! :D

regards, Nils

I’ve had the XP Desk on this machine report that the virtual page memory is not high enough or the page memory needs to be adjusted… This appeared at Boot Time… and just as the XP Desk appears… The pop-up window describes where-and-how to make that adjustment…

I’m unsure what has caused this to happen…

Could it be n-Track? or just that the “sum” of everything to do with the computer has required that make that re-adjustment? I can’t ever remember going in there to set those numbers… The inital figure was 768MB and the max. number was and still is 1536MB.

I’ve changed the inital amount from 768MB to 770MB. Is those numbers an acceptable “Range” to have ?? for the virtual memory page size…

Bill…

Hi Bill. According to the musicxp site here you should fix the amount of virtual memory this way:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Fixed Swap File (Virtual Memory)

Select the Advanced tab of the Systems applet and then select the Performance settings button. Then select the Advanced page. In here it is possible to customise the Virtual Memory. For custom size, this is often recommended to be 1.5 to 2 times the amount of your total RAM for both initial and maximum size. Set this to a fixed minimum and maximum value according to your existing RAM
(taken from the MusicXP site)

In addition to setting a fixed virtual memory size I have found it beneficial to have the minimum and maximum size the same, i.e. if you have (say) 512 MB RAM on the system, you should set both the min and the max virtual memory size value to somewhere around 768 MB and 1 GB.

regards, Nils

Hi Nils K:
Thanks for your reply to this … It’s really nice to get some advise to these issues up here… I know that this XP Desk prompted me to address this… But I didn’t know what or how to correct this… In fact I played with this numbers for 3-4 re-boots till the desk booted up with no pop-up screen…

Yes… I have a stick of 512 meg. installed on the main board. It’s an ASUS CUSL-2C …

I don’t know why this issue appeared… I had 768 MB in the inital BOX and 1536MB in the max. BOX… IT only Booted to the Desk after I put 770MB in the inital BOX… without the pop-up screen…

Remember, this is an old P-111 machine… Should I let well enough, alone? :O ???

Bill…

Bill, There could be several causes for the error: some of the suggestions I have here may not be a cause or solution, but they may be helpful overall:
Check and see if you have a smaller amount of harddrive space left on the drive than the Virtual memory is allowed to address.
My guess is that the newer builds of Ntrack would be happier with 1 gig of memory. Particularly, if your video card does not have much memory on it.
The suggestion to set the Virtual memory at the same size for largest and smallest is a good one. Clean up the “trash” and see if that clears some space on the hard drive.
Also, make certain you don’t have programs loading into memory at start up that you don’t need - chack the system tray (lower right box on the Windows screen. See if turning off some stuff will help - many of the programs that are runninig all the time do not need to be running until you need them - Nero, Quicktime, are examples.

bax3 has a good point in that all the complaints about stability should address the latest version whenever possible. That said, I’ve looked at this survey several times and still not voted because I don’t really know how to answer (I believe the answers would be more revealing if the questions were asked differently - such as: Is the latest N-Tracks build stable enough for your use?)

Is it better than older versions - which older versions? Ver 3? or just earlier 4 versions. Personally, I’ve found it to be much less stable then Version 3.3, Build 1516 - which I would still like to have seen be more stable (a little more robust - too many black/blue screens of death).

Is it more stable than earlier versions of 4? I can’t really comment on that because I’ve found all versions of 4 that I’ve used to be unacceptably unstable for my use.

Don’t get me wrong - I’ve used and enjoyed N-Tracks since version 2. But… version 4 has been so frustrating that I picked up a version of Sonar HS a week ago (please no flames - just a sign of how frustrated I’ve become) and have been delighted with the stability. I may soon be enjoying recording and mixing my music again (it’s been a while). I love the N-Track layout, the work flow, Flavio’s hard work and responsiveness, etc., but at the end of the day I want to be able to be create, record, and mix music - and not be uptight every time I adjust a control in N, wondering if it will crash.

Also, many of the users of the forum are the more satisfied users - thus the survey will be skewed somewhat. It’s interesting to me how some of the more valued and knowledgeable participants are still using ver 3. Personally, I held off for quite a while, too.

So - if the question is: Is N ver 4 becoming more stable - then my answer is maybe.

If the question is: Is N ver 4 stable enough - then my answer is no, not nearly stable enough for my use.

Just my $.02.

-Tim

Hi bax3:
I’m gonna change the numbers in min. box from 770MB to the numbers in the max. box The figure is 1536MB. And see how that makes this machine behave. The graphics card on this machine is an ATI All-in-Wonder Pro 128 . I believe IT has a memory of 32 meg. That’s pretty lo, in today’s standards. I don’t have any cards in all of these boxes that are larger than 32 megs. But lately, this P-111 has become sluggish… I don’t know the reason for this… This machine happens to be the DO-IT-ALL Machine including my “Editing” in n-Track machine… Going on line and my “Beater” machine for testing plugs and whatever… When I want to get serious with editing, I run the early version of EndItAll. that is the utility that “Kills” any apps. that are running in the backround… I think… ?? If I need to go back to the Desk config. after that, I need to reboot. To put any apps. up on the Desk… Well… I’ve not done any XP Audio Streamlineing with XP, on this machine. IT runs as IT came outta the Disk… I think?

I use AVG Virus FREE and I keep it up-to-date… and I use the msn and Google toolbar for Pop-Ups and all… However I have a preference for the yahoo one… but it’s not installed on the browser, at the present time…

If I didn’t know better, I’d have to say that n-Track showed me better preformance when I was loading the late versions of v4.1.6bata builds, as Flavio was posting them. IT makes me think that I may revert back to one of the bata builds… ??? ???

Anyway, I’ll be playing with the virtual page memory set at 1536 megs. … in both config. boxes…

Bill…

The Next Question for the Forum: Is Anyone using the new Build?

Bill, unless you have a need for the Video features of the All-in-Wonder card, I would suggest going to a simple 2D card with about 128 meg on it. They are pretty cheap. I have an All-in-Wonder in my machine and since I changed to it I have been having more troubles - more stuff loaded, TV, 3d etc. and turning off or disabling the drivers does not seem to work well either. I put the card in for Video editing, but I think windows and ATI are not on the same page right now.

Hi All:
I’ve set the Virtual Memory on this P-111 to 1536meg. in both the lnital Box and max Box. I see what might be some improvment but IT’s not jumping out at me. I’m thinking my next move might be to lower the figures to 1024 meg. and see how the machine likes that… ?

I am useing build 2065 in combination with this setup… But before all these issues, I had better performance overall with the bata builds, with this P-111 machine… or at least this Virtual Memory issue didn’t appear untill the installation of build 2065…

I’m still unable to resolve this “Nagging Issue” of Auto Player scanning my Machine “Every-so-Often” looking for something to “PLAY”…

It’s a Pop-Up screen that appears on the Desk… IT goes away with nothing ever happening… but a few minutes later IT does a “Search” all over again… I have no idea what ever happened that has caused this action, to begin… If I think back over time I can only think that IT may have started with the installation of Windows Media Player v10 But I don’t see any place in the “Options or config.” where this is able to be controlled… I know this doesn’t happen without useing up some resourses… and causing “Who-Knows-What” when n-Track is running…

Yes… that ATI All-In-Wonder graphics card should not be installed on this machine. For the very reasons you pointed out…

However when this machine was rebuilt I planned to operate IT as a Dual Boot machine. As yet, I don’t have the '98SE Desk installed on IT… Mabey someday…

Anyway, after installing XP and getting IT to a point where IT was behaving O.K. for the indtalleation of n-Track, it began to operate and not Boot consistantly…

Mark A and phoo and a number of you guys got me headed in the right direction and I replaced a number of “Slow Reporting” drives at “Post-Up” time… Then XP would send a Report off to Bill Gates reporting anything from “Faulty Power Supplies and Memory… to Faulty Hardware and Mainboards”… Then, after replacing all this stuff… in the “Returned Reports” Bill Gates Shut/Made XP registration NO-GOOD… I called India several times to set the registration up again… only to have IT report that the Operating System had bad Reg, Codes… cause all the Hardware that was orriginally installed on the machine was not THE original Machine… and the codes were turned off again… Needless to say… I have turned off reporting “Bad Machine Performance”… However IT still makes up A report every time the machine has a “Serious” Desk faliure… And the Report is stored on the Drive and is a signifigant size… I think this reporting is somehow linked to how the operating system and machine “Combination” behaves… Who knows… ???

All of this is behind this machine now… :O ??? I hope… I thought I was doing a good thing sending reports off to Microsoft about what I was doing with my ??? P-111 ???

I can tell you… Microsoft looks at this machine every-so-often when I’m connected to the internet, with my Modem…

I hope they’re learning something…

Comming back to the Graphics Card…

Overall… IT’s performance is pretty stable, with the drivers that are installed, and all… (32 meg. of Slow Ram) Well… I’d like to be able to “Capture video” with the XP Desk… However, I am unable to install those apps. into the XP Desk… They work just fine with '98SE as the Desk… So, haveing said that, the AIW card is not the card I’d like to see in this machine… If I could get the Capture apps working with XP then I would be soo happy…

I have no unused PCI slots “Open” on this mainboard… So in order to Capture A/V I will have to USB Hardware, for doing that…

So… IN THAT… There lies another issue with Microsoft…

Microsoft wants to know just what PCI Hardware is on your Computer… IT’s very important to the organization… But they don’t care at all what “External” USB/Fire-Wire/or any other kind of connection/hardware is set-up on your computer… And… They wantta know just what software you use to operate that hardware…

That’s what I think… In My Opinion…

Bill…

Bill, did you - by any chance whatsoever - play a Sony audio CD on your DAW system?!?

Some Sony CD’s available for purchase in the US has some way of copy protection known as a rootkit with them, which installs unsuspiciously on the PC whenever the CD is played for the first time. Your machine exhibits many of the symptoms described… - sluggish performance, AutoPlayer polling all the time, the machine wanting to go on the internet for no good reason etc…

Read this! (NB! scary stuff indeed - but, alas, true.) Fortunately, Sony withdrew the offending CD’s from the market after facing several lawsuits, but only after millions of CD’s were sold.

There’s no easy way to remove the offending piece of software, as it has its slimy tentacles buried deep in the innards of Windows. RootkitRevealer mey give some clues as to what may be wrong, but it is still a very sticky and time-consuming business to get rid of the rootkit again.

I hope you get this sorted out, whatever the cause.

regards, Nils

Hi Nils K and All:
Holey-Mollie… That’s a frightening thought… I don’t play a lot of CD music material on these machines. However, I go to the liberay from time-to-time to bring home CD’s the listen to and Bone-Up on certian “Flavors” of music if and I get envolved in tracking and mixing projects in the studio… I’ve never taken into my imagination that any of this stuff could have a worm on IT…

I’m gonna look at the link you posted to see what you’re refering to, though…

I’m working on a Bass Track for Wayne… The RADAR Buddy I refer to, from Time-to-Time. He’s been in Cuba and on his way back home… I hope to have the track compressed in .OGG and posted sometime tonight for him. This is the first collaboration and “Cross-Hardware/Platform Project” I’ve got involved with, between a RADAR Turn-Key system and the Set-up I have going … here… It’s gonna be interesting to see how the tracks line up and behave in a RADAR System… The track reselutions are recorded in 24-bit 48 khz. I have the Bass Track done and I’m ready to post the .OGG file. The 24-bit .wav file is ~ 65meg. and the compressed file is almost 3.3 meg. in size. The track was recorded with an active direct box at 16 bit 48khz. res. and then rendered to 24 bit 48khz. res. then compressed to an.OGG file…

The P-111 worked flawlessly on this track including the EDITING and all… The track has no plugs or anything like that installed on the track… Just the Active direct Box and into the line input of the S/B card… That’s IT…

I’m gonna post a rendered version of the rough mix of the drum tracks and an acoustic guitar track that I played the bass, to, as well… I used my Washburn BX-500 bass, for the track…

I was gonna play with the "Virtual Memory of the P-111 machine today, but I left IT alone in favour of recording this Bass Track… The set-up/ machine worked very well… in-my-opinion… We’ll see…

Bill…