nTrack Drums

the final episode

NTD is even more versatile than I had originally thought. While you can do the pattern thing and trigger with ch-16, I guess you can do the midi file
thing as well on another instance and use ch-10. For some reason I was under the assumption that you could only use NTD to trigger patterns on ch-16. (Rather mind blowing)
Does any one know of any utility that will remap all the instances of a note or (list of notes) in a MIDI file?
For instance if there is a file with C7 mapped to a crash cymbal in
some MIDI file and you want to remap it to C#2.

Hi, 7-11,

I’m away from my studio computer right now, but I believe this is what you need to do.

Start a new project in N or open an existing one. Then you can import the MIDI file into N.

Open the Piano Roll view, and then select the C7 line by clicking on the note name on the left. Hold and drag down to C2. This will move all the notes from C7 to C2.

Then export the MIDI track(s) into a new MIDI file. Presto Remco!

Don

This is a related question.

I have found free drum sound fonts on the net.
I downloaded them and opened them into Windows Fonts.
When I open up a midi drum file and right click “events list”
the Track events list comes up.
I can click on “controller” or “program change” at the top but I have no idea where the new sounds are other than they are supposed to be in “Windows fonts” where I put them.

For instance when I right click a bass track and go into the events list I have the options of changing the bass sound (program change) to any number of types, fretless, slap bass etc etc, however, no matter which sound I chose the sound does not change.

There is something I am missing here.
:)

anybody know how to get the new sounds into the midi banks? and how to actually make different sounds come out when you select them?

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Thanks for the reply dontuck
Though I have been hand editing in a piano style editor, it gets a little tedious for large amounts of remapping. What I am trying to do is remap the EZ midi files to a custom mapping for NTD which is loaded with the Pearl Master Custom drum samples - which are like the best drum samples I have ever heard.
So I need something that will parse a midi file for an input list of note names and change them to a corresponding mapped list and spit out the new file.
It’s really just a straight editing job. I may be able to write code for this.
I saw a program that will take a MIDI file and turn it into editable text. So maybe I’ll try that. Stay tuned.

How did you get the Pearl drums into Ntrack?

I have midi files to trigger drums but as of yet cannot get any better sounds other than windows fonts to play.

When I get new fonts how to I load them into a “bank” or place that I can use them inside Ntracks midi files?

keep shinin

Do a search on soundfonts here in the forum. LearJeff posts.

soundfonts have a .sfz extention - only a soundfont player like SFZ will load them -

M.R.

Ok perhaps I am using wrong terminology once again,

I will try to slow down…please just insert the proper terminology into my sentence and we can move forward to solve the problem.

I am using Ntrack to play midi files, when it does so it has some “sounds” it uses I am assuming are from a Windows bank of some kind. (the types of “sounds” I am referring to listed in first post)

Now I understand there are other available “sounds” that could be played in place of the ones that are in there already I have already done this, that is changed a closed hi hat to an open one, a snare to a cymbal etc etc.
All I am trying to do is learn how to load other “sounds” “samples” “fonts” or whatever you call them into a place they can be accessed via the “events List” of the tracks.

Rather than us dotteling around with who is using the proper terms and who is not can someone please just answer the question, obviously a soundfont is a particular format and one would need a specific player to play it but we are talking about Windows sound samples here (I think) being triggered within Ntrack via a midi file so the context determines what “sounds” we are discussing regardless of the incorrect terminology, seriously rabbit to have such knowledge and not be able to share it with people who ask a simple question is saddening.
Poppa, I don’t see how searching for “soundfonts” is going to help I already have tons of “sounds/samples/banks”, just don’t know how to put them in a place they can be accessed in the midi files, the only ones in there are Windows basics when I open the piano roll it says “0 bank change” and clicking that does not allow me to change to another.
When I open the Events menu of an individual midi track some of them have “controller” which has 127 possibilities, I just don’t know how to make the new banks I have show up in there as one of them, that is when I download them I don’t know were to put them, inside Windows Fonts? inside Ntrack?

What I need is the destination folder for midi banks to be recognized in Ntrack and the process by which one would get them in there.

keep shinin

Quote:

I am using Ntrack to play midi files, when it does so it has some "sounds" it uses I am assuming are from a Windows bank of some kind. (the types of "sounds" I am referring to listed in first post)

Jerm -
If you are using N to play (drum) MIDI files, then you must of course select NTrack Drums as your output for that MIDI track. And make sure that you have ch-10 selected under the properties for that track as well.
To get the sound samples that you want to hear, you will first have to D/L some sample kits. There is a Pearl Master Custom floating around. It contains 24 bit wav samples of hits from the various pieces of the kit. Ranging from 1(soft) to 6(hard).
So you would have something like this:

snare top 1
snare top 2
snare top 3
snare top 6

Same thing for kick, toms, cymbals and such. (These are wav samples of less than one second to aprrox 2 seconds)
Now to get those sounds, you open the GUI for NTrack Drums (one way is to select properties for your MIDI track that has NTrack Drums loaded as a VSTi) by first right clicking on the TRACK name just to the left of the timeline, then select 'Properties' and click the little hammer next to 'Output names'. In the NTD GUI - Select the DRUMS menu, then click on the 'e' for each pad that is displayed - to enter the editor. In the 'sample path' window you can add/remove wav samples for that pad and change other parameters like the trigger note etc. Once you have loaded your samples for each pad (BTW to close the 'e' window - click on the button next to 'voice editor', then when your midi file plays [i.e note number 36 or C1] then whatever sample you have loaded in the first pad will trigger (unless you have changed the trigger note value)

This is particular to NTrack Drums, and will not produce the desired results in other programs, unless you have the same samples loaded into a similar feature of that program.
Quote:

So I need something that will parse a midi file for an input list of note names and change them to a corresponding mapped list and spit out the new file.

Turns out there is such a program: midi disasembler (mididsm.exe) which lets you convert midi file to text. Then with notepad you change every occurance of (i.e C7 to C#2) or whatever. Then it will rewrite the text file to midi.

Download it here and
you need the other files listed. Read the readme - it works.

download mididsm.exe

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Feb. 22 2009, 3:28 PM)

Quote:

Turns out there is such a program: midi disasembler (mididsm.exe) which lets you convert midi file to text. Then with notepad you change every occurance of (i.e C7 to C#2) or whatever. Then it will rewrite the text file to midi.

Download it here and
you need the other files listed. Read the readme - it works.

download mididsm.exe

What are you trying to do 7? Transpose? Or get a key pad to trigger a specific drum?

My problem is that when I write a drum track for a song and export it to midi from another program.
Using bass, snare, hhOpen, hhclosed, tom1 tom2, crash1 crash2, Ride, etc.

nDrummer doesn't play thoes drums.
It will play the kick and snare and hh, but it' might play the Ride as tom1 or something like that and some get left out.
Would you know how I could correct that?

I downloaded the Addictive drums demo, thats a sweet program but expensive.
And doesn't have a step editor like nDrumer which i find priceless!

Hey Levi -
What I’m doing is trying to get the EZ demo loop to play my Pearl samples. So if you look at the EZ demo - by dragging it into a midi
editor piano roll and expanding it - you will see ‘notes’ than are not even on the published midi map. Like C7 at the top and B-2 at the bottom and a host of notes in between that do not correspond directly to the GM midi drum map. And if you play the notes by pressing the piano key to audition them, you can hear that they are -say a ride cymbal but at a lower velocity. But yet they are important to the sound of the pattern. So if C7 is indeed a ride cymbal (actually I forgot what it was) and MY ride cymbal keypad in NTD is mapped to F3/note#53 then I go in and change all the note #'s with C7/note#108 toF3/note#53 - and hopefully it will now trigger MY ride sample at the appropriate time. I haven’t actually completed doing this yet - cus I’m still working on the map conversion that I want to use.So say you use EZ by dragging a groove(s) in, copying it out to how many bars, until you have a pretty good sounding jam track. And it sounds great with EZ, but now you want to trigger a kit in NTD with the same midi patterns as those you just put together with EZ. Well that’s what I’m trying to do but I have to remap some of EZ’s stuff to what I have set up in NTD. You follow? It’s kind of like making my own custom EZX pack.

You may have to do sort of the same thing - but it may be easier for you to look at the midi file you have in the piano roll and find the note names of the sounds you are missing (by auditioning them in the editor) and then editing the corresponding sound in NTD by changing the triggering note name. You know where it says Low Middle High and it has ‘learn’ under it. Don’t hit learn - just click each low middle and high and put in the trigger note value. And you can save it as a new drum kit with the new mapping.

Moving midi “notes” in a clip is easy in piano roll - just click on the piano note on the roll - the notes - lets say C3 will turn white - hover over them till you get a cross hair directional cursor, then drag to C4 or wherever. You don’t have to re-write the whole file to edit, just highlight and drag.

Quote:

Moving midi "notes" in a clip is easy in piano roll ...

True - but I got a lot of em to move and a lot of files. So I am just trying to find a streamlined approach that I can set up as a batch process.

But you are right - as was dontuck. :)
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Feb. 22 2009, 3:15 PM)

Quote:

I am using Ntrack to play midi files, when it does so it has some "sounds" it uses I am assuming are from a Windows bank of some kind. (the types of "sounds" I am referring to listed in first post)

Jerm -
If you are using N to play (drum) MIDI files, then you must of course select NTrack Drums as your output for that MIDI track.

IT is set to default the output that is, to Microsoft Midi Mapper, which plays the drum tracks just fine, only few choices of instruments in the event hanger....and the ones that are there a cheezy.

I still need an answer to the question.

I have found plenty of real drum midi banks on the net, just have no idea where to put them so that I can access them inside of Ntracks.

I will try tootling around with the things you say, I have switched the output to Ntrack drums in the past but it did not do much for the sound or giving me other options in the event frame of the miditracks, perhaps you have given me the missing link.

will let you know how it turns out, but either way I still need to know were to put midi drum banks to use in Ntrack.

keep shinin

the instructions are in the NTD folder in your VSTplugin folder - its all there everything you need to know -

a printable manual is available here -

http://nusofting.liqihsynth.com/dk+.html

M.R.

Quote:

Microsoft Midi Mapper

Jerm - the MS Midi Mapper will map your midi output to whatever you have selected in CONTROL PANEL/SOUNDS and AUDIO DEVICES/ under AUDIO tab 'MIDI music playback' device.
If you have your soundcards' midi is selected, then all midi data is sent to its midi port which is usually a 'wav table synth' - that is built into your sound card.
If you select the MS GS wavetable software synth - then you will be using MS's software synth - which is wav table data stored in memory instead of on a ROM chip like your soundcards Wave Table synth.

It can be replaced:

See this thread from HitSquad:
Replacing MS GS synth

But understand this replaces the whole patch set and is not user configruable.
I don't think you can change the soundfont on th MS stuff.

Better to use sfz player as a VSTi plugin on a midi track load your sf2(soundfont file) into sfz and then drag or import your midi file into the timeline and let er rip.

Download sfz here:
SFZ PLAYER
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Feb. 23 2009, 12:32 AM)

Quote:

Microsoft Midi Mapper

Jerm - the MS Midi Mapper will map your midi output to whatever you have selected in CONTROL PANEL/SOUNDS and AUDIO DEVICES/
under AUDIO tab 'MIDI music playback' device.
If you have your soundcards' midi is selected, then all midi data is sent to its midi port which is usually a 'wav table synth' - that is built into your sound card.
If you select the MS GS wavetable software synth - then you will be using MS's software synth - which is wav table data stored in memory instead of on a ROM chip like your soundcards Wave Table synth.

It can be replaced:

See this thread from HitSquad:
Replacing MS GS synth

But understand this replaces the whole patch set and is not user configruable.
I don't think you can change the soundfont on th MS stuff.

Better to use sfz player as a VSTi plugin on a midi track load your sf2(soundfont file) into sfz and then drag or import your midi file into the timeline and let er rip.

Download sfz here:
SFZ PLAYER

Aren't the midi banks you get online already in a format they can be played without a sfz VST?

Somehow I don't think that is going to work for this application, using the VST, that is the drum files I am using have multiple instruments in one midi file.
If I had each drum part on it's own file simply switching to a VST and changing one sound sounds like it would work tho.

I still can't rap myself around the concept of why 127 banks show up and rather than loading a few new banks into there intended for midi I have to use a VST and "soundfonts" instead.

I mean for the most part I am using 3 banks tops, 0 Bank, Volume 7, and 32 Bank are in almost every song I find.

I do hope you get an answer to your own query because I too want to know.
For instance I recently downloaded a midi song (someone sequenced) however they had crash cymbals going crazy all throughout the song, other than that it was a fine piece that was perfect for a backing track, but the last thing a person want's to hear in a bar is a crash cymbal going off in repetition in their ear at a high decibel for 5 min. (can I use the abbreviate dot as a period there :) )

Anywho I went into the event list and changed many of the cymbals to hihat, and brought down the velocity of the remainder making a track that played through my PA speakers without annoyance, smooth... :)
I have a feeling if you get somewhere with your preponderance I may be able to use that solution to change say all of the velocities of a single instrument within a multi-track at once saving me hours of programing.

I am certainly going to read all you have said when I get back into the studio along with checking out the link to the drum tutorial Rabbit posted.

Only one thing tho I am not just using drums, there are many bass files I would like to change the sound to and for some reason no matter what type of bass I select in the events folder the same sound comes out, in some cases a piano sounding sound comes out, while in others a great real bass sound comes out (ironically the same bass sound is showing up in the event list for both files)

I downloaded a few decent midi bass banks (at least I think they are banks, one describes itself as samples of an Ibanez the other a Yamaha electric basses)
I have them sitting on my computer in compressed form only have no idea whatsoever of where to put them to be able to use them inside the existing midi song files I have in Ntrack.

This is the main problem, I know I can download a VST and try and send my midi tracks through them etc etc and that would be great if that is what I am trying to do but one thing at a time.......

My soundcard is a M-audio Firewire interface, so I am not sure what sounds it would use, the only thing that worked was Midi Mapper that is why it is selected right now. I know the card has midi ins only have never been able to get anything midi to work on it.
It does seem tho that you are pointing me in a proper direction>investigate soundcards abilities>investigate possible VST's....

I found a few good Bass VST's the other day but none of them were free, and still don't get why I would use that when there are perfectly good midi bass banks people have taken the time to sample and create specifically for this task, I'm not really looking for the easy work around here I want to learn how to do it they way it was done before VST's so that I can do BOTH.

keep shinin

Jerm you need to do some reading on midi and what it is and how it works.