nTrack Drums

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Feb. 23 2009, 7:56 PM)

You think Jerm is really talking about sf2 files? Or maybe he got a hold of bank files for a particular hardware/software that will only work with what it was designed for. There were a lot of those around. For example I have a Guillemont ISIS Pro card that
can use .94b soundbanks. And there are plenty of them out there. And they sound pretty good. But you can only use them if your soundcard software supports it. And I don't know of any current ones that do. I'll bet that's it.

The file I got for bass once unzipped to (anywhere) per Poppas instruction is:

sf2

And I do think that is going to work great for the bass as suggested via VST since it is a single note at a time instrument on it's own track.
Still not so sure about the various drum sounds and the pre-sequenced midi tracks of the cover songs that have the entire drums on one track.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:
Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Feb. 23 2009, 4:52 PM)

[quote=wynot,Feb. 23 2009, 8:22 AM]
Thanks for the tip I will certainly try that method, I am curious to how it would work with a midi drum track that is already consolidated, that is it has all of the instruments on one line, how would the VST know which parts to substitute if I simply chose one "sound" in the SFZ?

That was why I wanted to load a new drum "bank" with various drums sound in it into a place Ntrack could access it via the events folder, like one of the 127 ones that show up.
I don't mind programing each hit to a new instrument sound in the events list, just have no way to get the new bank in there as an option.

I think the solution you presented is going to work just fine for bass tracks (which I do need to do as well) and for drum tracks that have each part on it's own track.

keep shinin

J, SFZ and the other soundfont players open a .sf2 file - there should be some on your machine already, from other things you have written, and their names should tell you what they are - and there are lots of good free ones available. The .sf2 file contains samples, usually of a whole drum kit for drum soundfonts. The SFZ player lets you use the midi files to tell ntrack when to play each sound, and how loud, and how long. When you Import a pre-made midi file of a song's drums, it should play - but the sounds may or may not be exactly the same unless the soundfont conforms correctly to the GM standard. Store-bought soundfonts will, and most others should.
And n's built in midi editor lets you fix things in a fairly easy way. At least, I like the piano roll...

Don't stop banging at it though; sometime or other it will all fall in place, and you'll go ??? , ya know?

'til later;
tony w

Jeremy,
We’re all in a hurry and can’t always read every post. Sorry.
You probably know this but ndrummer plays wav samples.
They are kept in nTrack V6, or your versions folder, then; vstfolder, nTrack drums, Library folder.
Create a new folder in the library folder to hold your samples (wav files of bass, snare, etc).
Name the folder starting with the letter u; like—>
uMykit
You add your drums to the pads in the nDrumer by right clicking on a pad and loading via ‘real time sample replacer’ option. Takes a little time.
Then go to menu, save, name it something.
That’s your kit.
Then follow Kevens instructions to get ndrummer to play.
If you have a midi file of a drum track made in another program that you want ndrummer to play in the nStudio you might have to use ynots instructions to have ndrums play the right drum for each hit.
When you get the next step figured, let me know :laugh:

Quote:

"The final episode"

Hey I got the theme music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3PV34CzYWM

D

Hey D -
That was great. The thing is - I never heard of 'Europe' before.
It's too bad there aren't anymore bands like that.
I mean just for the show - ya know
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Feb. 23 2009, 10:51 PM)

Quote:

"The final episode"

Hey I got the theme music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3PV34CzYWM

D

Hey D -
That was great. The thing is - I never heard of 'Europe' before.
It's too bad there aren't anymore bands like that.
I mean just for the show
- ya know

Ya but I doubt if you could get the "Pussycat Dolls" to do that song!

Spice Girls maybe

Quote:

Still not so sure about the various drum sounds and the pre-sequenced midi tracks of the cover songs that have the entire drums on one track.

Do these not play through n-Drums? if you click FX and assign the midi track to play through n-drums. It should work. Won't sound all that great but as Levi said you can create a better kit to play through in n-drums.

I am So looking forward to the new manual! :laugh:

Y’all don’t know what’s good…
:whistle:

Lord God in heaven - SAVE US!

I’ve heard worse… (but not by much) :)

My son’s first “band”. He was the ONLY one up there with a clue. During their practices he seldom got to play his own instrument because he was trying to show the other guys what to play. The other guitar was out of tune, the bass was out of tune, the drummer thought just pounding anything at any time was all it took. Sheesh… what a racket!

D

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Feb. 24 2009, 8:26 AM)

Quote:

Do these not play through n-Drums? if you click FX and assign the midi track to play through n-drums. It should work. Won't sound all that great but as Levi said you can create a better kit to play through in n-drums.

That was sort of the problem, all the midi song files I download play just fine, it is the sounds they play that were not so hot through the Midi Mapper.

However, when I switched to the MG as seven suggested it made a world of difference, now the parts tagged "slap bass" sound like "slap bass" and when I send them through a VST bass amp sim even better.

It is the "creating better kit" for the drums I need to learn how to do the most, seven has also PM'd me with a plug for that....gonna certainly try it, although with all these plugs I still would eventually like to learn how it was done before VST.

keep shinin

Before Virtual instruments we had drum machines that played what they brought from the factory.

Before that, we had to use drummers, who would drink all our beer, smoke our stash, then try to steal our lady-friends.

Good times!

'til next time;
wynot

Quote:

I still would eventually like to learn how it was done before VST.

I think most were outboard synths that would recieve 'system exclusive' messages to access the capabilities and non General Midi stuff. I'll bet that was a bear to get everything humming in sync. Progress.

Nothing can replace an inebriated drummer though.

before VST there was - still are, and if i had the money would be -

http://www.dv247.com/invt/26105/

M.R.