Rare Political Humour

rare for me, anyway

I don’t usually do political humour - least of all American Political Humour. But once I thought of this I couldn’t resist.

One of my Uncles lived just north of Fort Lauderdale…
He had beach front property…

He used to say it was a question of voting for the politicians that would cause the least damage to the people before their term was up…

He’s not with us anymore…

Bill…

Despite the fact that I have always voted whenever the opportunity presented itself, I am coming closer to concluding that I should refrain from voting - all it does is encourage them.

I am very much leaning towards spoiling my ballots in future elections.

I’m Back Again… BillClarke:

For somebody like me??
I’ve done that…
in the past…

Somehow-or-Other…
I think they are (the Spoiled Ballots) are still counted…
I believe they throw them in a pile and get the candidates to “Boob” for them like Boobing for apples…
in a big bucket… :p
:laugh:

What can we expect up here in our Neck of the Woods…

When is it…
October 14th…
????

Bill…

[EDIT]
I’d like the Government to report to the people… How much it costs the taxpayers to run an election…

Quote: (BillClarke @ Sep. 06 2008, 11:27 AM)

I should refrain from voting - all it does is encourage them.

I am very much leaning towards spoiling my ballots in future elections.

:laugh:

Let’s be honest guys, this is the person we will all be voting for.

OK, the remaining Alaskan wildlife that she hasn’t personally slaughtered, she’s determined to drown in oil slicks.

She wants to teach our kids creationism, and in a very conservatively correct way.

She doesn’t know what the plan for Iraq is, but she knows that there is a plan, and it’s "God’s Plan!"

But despite all that trivial stuff, we’ll still vote for her, 'cos every single one of us fantasises about nailing her!

:)

Nail her? Really?? Not me.

Despite how nice the package looks I can’t get past the sh!t that’s inside it.

I’ll take a pass on nailing her and as for voting for her… well, that’s a decision I don’t even get to make.

Quote:

I can't get past the sh!t that's inside it

Wow - Really!? REALLY!?

That's pretty hardcore - you live in cardboard box in Alaska because of her I presume?

You guys have obviously listening/reading/watching the major media outlets, most of whom have already inaugurated and placed in office Barack “I dunno what the heck I’m gonna do. I just know I stand for CHANGE.” (Gee… who doesn’t?) Obama. I was quite pleasantly surprised by a LIVE interview with Mrs. Palin I saw the other day.

Quote:

The remaining Alaskan wildlife that she hasn’t personally slaughtered, she’s determined to drown in oil slicks.

I’m not much of a hunter myself but I certainly see nothing wrong with it IF you eat what you kill. Oil slicks? This is 2008, not 1978. I think we’ve learned a thing or two.

Quote:

She wants to teach our kids creationism, and in a very conservatively correct way.

Nothing wrong with that. Why not expose our children to ALL the information we can about who/what/how we are and let them learn to think for themselves?

Quote:

She doesn’t know what the plan for Iraq is, but she knows that there is a plan, and it’s “God’s Plan!”

I’ve not seen her quoted on this one so I can’t comment a whole lot. I personally believe God has a plan for everything and everybody. WE have the free will to muck it up and usually do.

I love you green guy!

D

PS She is a very attractive lady. :agree:

I’ve been voting in the state and federal elections since the early 80’s. It’s just been in the last year or two I’ve realized the local elections are pretty doggone important too. As far as McCain vs Obama, I’ll be voting for McCain, though in some ways, Obama doesn’t worry me as much as his buddies in the Congress.

Here’s the thing, I really can’t support a fundamentalist (of any stripe) for any important job (‘important job’ being defined as any job that potentially impacts the lives of other persons.) Dog-catcher, Mayor, Meter-maid - fine. High-ranking federal official - no.

Here’s the reason: to be a fundamentalist (again, of any stripe) one must make the conscious decision to accept as precise, unalterable, literal truth the statements of a given text. One must willingly re-wire one’s brain to say: despite my own common sense, my five senses, and my rational mind, I will accept as literal truth what is written in this text and if my common sense, five senses, and my rational mind disagree with what is written in this text I will forego my common sense, my five senses, and my rational mind in favour of what is so written.

I think that such an irrational, deliberate, self-mutilation of one’s humanity simply must show itself in other areas.

You can take one of the finer gear-wheels of a well-constructed watch and remove one of the tines and the watch will appear, to all intents and purposes, to still function correctly. The hands will move in the appropriate direction; it will look and seem to behave still as a well-constructed watch. But something is seriously wrong with its mechanism now and that serious flaw will show up someday and in some, perhaps unpredicatable, fashion.

That altered watch is a fundamentalist. Maybe it will perform adequately for the balance of time. Maybe. But it is flawed and there is no way to accurately predict how its flaw will manifest itself.

So how was church this mornin’?

Church was great - as it is every Sunday.

Thanks for asking.

BTW - you can listen to our 11:00 AM service at www.unity-kitchener.org - click on the link for “past services” and you can download or stream it.

(for what it’s worth - that’s me on the drums)

We don’t archive our 9:00 AM service but it is essentially the same as the 11:00 AM.

Fundementalist by difinition refers to adherent’s of religious
tradition, usually referring to Christian or Islamic.
Whereas our political system tolerates both, as opposed to
’radical’/violent fundementalists. I personally don’t see
a problem with either Christian or Islamic fundementalists.
I do see a problem with ‘radical’/violent fundementalists.
Our political system is secure enough to protect us from
Govenor Palin, should she ‘become’ radical. My more immediate
concerns, are the avaialibility of affordable healthcare,
and education. And a break from 'globalistic’pursuits, while
we take care of our faltering internal social structure, and
make improvements to our infrastructure.

But how can you be protected from her flawed thinking?

If elected, this travesty will be one heartbeat away from being your President. One beat of an already 72 year old heart.

Good luck with that.

Well let’s ‘what if’.
Say she IS President.
To effect her personal belief system on the country, she
has a couple of options. She can appoint judges who are like-minded.
(Probably the most serious),
Or she could start a Holy War.
Sound familiar?
As President, I’m not sure you can do much more.
Which do you fear the most?
Don’t get me wrong - I understand your concerns.
This is going to be a very interesting election, no matter
how you look at it.

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Sep. 07 2008, 7:38 PM)

Sound familiar?

Oh yeah. All that and a bag of chips.

Haven't you had enough of that sh!t?

To be fair, the real job of the President is to distract the public from realizing that real power is wielded by the corporations. So their actual ability to make change is quite limited.

But that doesn't mean they can't cause a wagonfull of problems for everday people in their everyday lives.
Quote:

power is wielded by the corporations

True.
How would you be different if say you were top banana
at MS, or Exxon, or Walmart?
Your job is to maximize profits for your shareholders.
Do you try to de-stabilize other countries? Side with
your nations traditional enemies for marketshare?
Export American jobs for cheaper labor? Avoid taxes?
Influence 'emminent domain' laws?
It is a little out of control.

D - where did you see a live interview with her? She hasn’t done any yet. Least as far as I know.