Simple sm-57 mod

in latest tape op

Anyone see this yet? Essentially it is just: take out the transformer. S’pose to reduce the output by about 10 db, but add bottom end and make it closer to the sm-7. I’m gonna try it.

:)

Old mod, I have 2 sm-57 just like this. I have a switch box with jensen transformer in it to hook it up to as well. I bought it on ebay 4 years ago.

It sounds much better.

Is this the current issue?

I read about it.
Don’t like the idea of boiling the transformer loose & if you don’t like it…

Instead why not unsolder the capsule & solder it to a spare cord & give it a shot?

Brand new issue. Didn’t know it was an old mod, but that makes sense - folks must have messed around a lot with the 57 over the years. Can you describe the switch box for us a bit, X-track?

I dunno, jdps, the idea of boiling a mic has a certain appeal… :) But, yes, I thought about a less destructive method as well, which would seem the way to go. Stiil, it’s a cheap experiment, as these things go.

:)

From a thread discussing this on homerecording.com

<!–QuoteBegin>

<!–QuoteBegin>
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylac
In the recent issue of tapeop they have an article that gives instructions on how to remove the transformer from the 57 and improve the sound. Some people say that it makes it sound more like a SM7.

Anybody boil their 57’s yet? I heard that Seattle tap water brings out a +2dB rise at 4k and East Bay MUDD brings out a +2dB rise 6k.
:D

I already talked this over at Audiominds and apparantly the bass boost comes from the impedance mismatch that removing the transformer creates. I have been lucky enough to have been working with a pre lately that has variable impedance and dorking with the impedance makes a world of difference in this regard, so there is the theory behind the mod.

What interests me more is using a break out transformer like they talk about at the end of the article. Woul dit be worth getting a nice Jenson or whatever transformer to put on a 57 you suppose? I am half tempted to tear my SM7 apart to see what is going on in there in comparison to a 57. One thing, the capsules are not the same between the 57 an SM7 at all.

Did anyone over there suggest a specific tranny? I’m not against spending 50 bucks or so to try it out.

Hi Gents:
I think the DC. Resistance measrument of the Voice Coil of an SM 57 mic is about 45 ohms. Close guesstimate…

That being the case… the removal of the Isolation transformer will make the input of a Mic pre-amp load to that impedance…

Other-wise the SM 57 impedance will be the difference of the whatever the DC. Resistance is… of the secondary of the isolation transformer… I think IT’s some 200 ohms… Whatever… Hense… Useing the iso transformer … Higher output level… No iso transformer Lower level… no clipping… Bigger bottom-end…

I know that They did that on Snare mics… Where they suspended the SM 57 cartridge by rubber tubing … under the “Snare -Wire” (bottom -head) of snares… in the Drum Speciality Tracking Sudios…

They didn’t only use SM 57 carts… They use E/V D-35 carts… as well… Some producers like the sound of either of these mics… Some liked the end result of mixing both of these cartridges…

If you liked the sound of a BIG Snare… that’s what you got… :;):

Bill…

Quote (TomS @ Mar. 29 2006,09:31)
Did anyone over there suggest a specific tranny? I'm not against spending 50 bucks or so to try it out.

Rosula... s/he's pretty convincing...

Oh, wait, you mean transformer.. :D I would imagine the usual suspects like Jenson. Link.

However.... putting a transformer in would probably kill any bass increase as you have eliminated impedance mismatch which is causing the bass boost with the transformer removed to begin with.

Well, I have a sowter that looks right. I’m gonna try it both ways. right after all of the inlaws leave Saturday. :)

I wonder if this type of mod has a positive effect on other dynamics? That would (now I think, as I write) be dependent on the presence of a simliar transformer in a similar circuit. Yes?

Other old motley dynamics in my shoebox: Shure 580SB; EV 661 (looks neat, sounds like a small AM radio); Peavey LO-Z thing; Shure Prologue (with cord attatched, 1/8" plug at the end); and an early edition (I guess) Shure Beta, with an on/off switch and no grille cap.

I have 3 57’s so I’m going to do one of 'em. And you bet I’m gonna boil it! :laugh:

Well, the main mod you run across on mics is a transformer change out. Removing transformers whole sale from every mic you can find is probably not a great idea.

Quote (Bubbagump @ Mar. 30 2006,00:49)
Well, the main mod you run across on mics is a transformer change out. Removing transformers whole sale from every mic you can find is probably not a great idea.

:laugh: Well, I didn’t think I’d do them all, actually. The idea of this does make me think a minute though. You just have to think twice!

But thanks for the reality check!

Check this out, speaking of an afternoon in the garage:
tapeop condenser mic project

Down and dirty! My school…

Your link was broken Sloom. I fixed it:

link

Some of us built these a few years back. Mine were not very successful owing to the component substition I had to do because I couldn’t (at the time) easily find the capsules over here.

Others had some good successes. Perhaps I’ll have another go if I can find the capsules.

Mark

That’s what I get for assuming something works- I hadn’t checked it! My apologies for the trouble, thanks Mark.

Anyhow, yeah- I think I’ll give this a shot. I got a couple nice 14" Masonite rings and some scrap lexan sheets to make shockmounts with- good for a stereo mic jig.

I tried to do the tape op condensors as well - worked but noisey, no idea why, and at the time it would have cost just a little more to get the stapes version anyway. :)

The 661 should sound pretty good - not too far off an sm 57, certainly not like an AM radio. Ever open it up?

Quote (TomS @ Mar. 30 2006,08:24)
I tried to do the tape op condensors as well - worked but noisey, no idea why, and at the time it would have cost just a little more to get the stapes version anyway. :)

The 661 should sound pretty good - not too far off an sm 57, certainly not like an AM radio. Ever open it up?

The 661 I have has a female threaded mount connected to it that joins to the mic stand thread. Looks a little different than this one. I'll try and get a pic of it, post it.

But the reason I think it sounds that way at this point may be because I put it on our singer in the reggae band one night- and he has sort of a tinny, nasally, mincey voice. Haven't actually tried it on anything else yet. Good point. You got me there!

I work too much and don't play enough- gotta spend some more time in my "happy place"!

I think the connector in the picture is the Hi-Z version - you might have the amphenol connector? I think the older EV mics are under appreciated - not just the salmon killer neighbor of the beast - which rocks on guitar amps - but even its less ballsy child the 664A, which is very, very similar to the mic you have. Might make a good 2nd mic on an amp, with the “variable D” thing going on there. Definitely a happy place thing. :D

By the way, the website from which I grabbed that picture is totally cool - lots of images and spec sheets for some great old mics:

http://www.k-bay106.com/photos.htm