StarPlugs is Offering

This Dynamics 5.1 Bundle

Starplugs has a 5.1 Dynamics Plug in Bundle deal for the month of November…

Dynamics Bundle

They look pretty interesting to me…

They can be had for some 42.00 usd…
In my opinion, they are hard to pass up…

Bill…

Meh… surround… phooey.

Surround is for movie FX… phooey…

UJ

Again Bill your mind reading abilities are getting better…

I was just going to post a thread about 5.1 audio when the other day I just happened to click on the pan button in Ntrack (or somewhere in that vicinity) to my surprise to see a very strange site indeed.

ALl these speakers…like a surround sound set up…

My thread was going to be all about what the heck is that! and how would I go about hearing those possibilities with my current set up.

perhaps someone will read this and have mercy on my poor ignorant soul and edumcate me as to how to make use of this new found feature of Ntrack…if that is the case here is my set up.

ONYX mackie mixer/converter/interface.
2 Fostex near field speakers.
2 Yamaha PR15’s
1 KRK K10S subwoofer.

Currently I send the main out of the mixer playback return from the computer to the Fostex, and the control room out to my Rane DC24 crossover the highs and mids to the Yamahas and lows the KRK, all the speakers are powered if that makes any difference…

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Those StarPlug Effects are somewhat pricey…
However, they’ve taken my interest for a while now…

Now that they are on Special, I’m tempted to make the plunge, for these two plugs…
The price-is-right…

I’m not sure if this idea works…
Using 5.1 positioning on 2.1 mixes…
????
What do you think ????

I’ve played with whatever drop-down command to see that 5.1 screen you mention…
BUT …
never played with it…
I don’t have or use 5.1 repro…
However, I have it on these Dual Processor machines, I have…
The Motherboards have 5.1 built-in audio capabilities built-in, on them…

YEs,

I would love to more about it myself.

keep shinin

Hi jeremysdemo:

I just wrote StarPlugs some mail, looking for some information that I couldn’t see-or-find on their FAQ’s…

I think I’m gonna download the Trial Bundle and see how they play…
If they work, it sorta makes it tough to turn down their Bundle offer…
????

Bill…

Doing lots of 5.1 and 7.2?

No Sir…

However, if the plugs would answer in a 2.1 track scenario application, for positioning tracks in a mix, the plugs come in at a good price-break… this month…

Bill…

These are dynamics plugs… wouldn’t you use panning to position?

Send me the money. I’ll write a tutorial on using PAN controls. :laugh:

UJ

This has turned into a “spacial needs” thread.

Hi Bubbagump:

Thanks for the reply…
That’s what I’m anticipating and could be fascinating about these 5.1 plugs…
That is, if they might work in a 2.1 mix…
E.g.
If they would, then, locating the 2.1 pan, then applying a 5.1 Dynamics position to the individual Track or Group… or, another combination…
Then re-inserting that render back into a 2.1 timeline…
???
???
Then comparing that Dynamics Render with the 5.1 and 2.1 or without…
Maybe, there’s an alternative process that might work…
But who knows, without seeing how such a render might behave…
?

I don’t know if the demo/trial versions allow renders…
Anyway, I’ve sent off some questions to see if they’ll reply to some initial questions…

I think the best way is, to install the trials and play, to see what develops, if anything…
Nothing ventured, nothing gained…

They know who I am…
I’ve shown them interest in the past…
and…
they know just who browses their pages…

Bill…

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 12 2010, 9:41 AM)

Doing lots of 5.1 and 7.2?

No, but I'd love to know what it is. :)
and what advantage if any there are in using it. ???

My neighbor runs his computer with 5.1 audio and if you put 5.1 songs on you hear all kinds of stuff from all kinds of different directions in his room really neat on certain songs....

I hear home audio hobbiest using a lot of DVD audio as a format these days...making demo DVD's for their groups....and people have the 5.1 on their TV sound systems....so the logical conclusion at least for me would be to take advantage of this technology and make some mixes that will be enhanced on those systems....

Of course being stuck on stupid I wouldn't even know where to start with my current set up.....which is why I ask those in the know to have mercy on me...but alas I remain in the dark. :whistle:

keep shinin

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Nov. 12 2010, 11:12 AM)

and what advantage if any there are in using it.
???

For music, not much use. For getting a helicopter in a movie or video game to sound like it is flying over your head, lots of use.

I’m always-and-forever, In-The-Dark… :laugh: :p hehe

The street lights are starting to power up at 4 pm in the afternoons up this way, sense the time has changed to AST… We got another 6 weeks left before the shortest daylight day of the season…

Bill…

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 12 2010, 11:18 AM)

???

For music, not much use. For getting a helicopter in a movie or video game to sound like it is flying over your head, lots of use.

Maybe he wants his drummer on a hill waaaayyy over THERE... and the guitar in a hole behind him right HERE. ??

D@#N! Where's that Levite? He needs in on this... :D

:laugh:

UJ

AaHh… You’re talkin about the guy from Dallas/Fort Worth… area… Levi… Nice guy…

Bill…

Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Nov. 12 2010, 11:21 AM)

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 12 2010, 11:18 AM)

???

Maybe he wants his drummer on a hill waaaayyy over THERE... and the guitar in a hole behind him right HERE. ??

D@#N! Where's that Levite? He needs in on this... :D

:laugh:

UJ

Well actually yea,

my little sis has taken to Celtic folk music and I am putting some stuff together for her on the guitar and various other instruments...

She may end up preforming these songs (some A cappella stuff too, duets, trios) in local college theaters.....

So yea, I was thinking mabey have the wind come from one direction and pass over the audience...a recorder off in the distant hill some chimes echoing down in a valley...as a Bodhran plays behind you...and she sings.

sorry I asked, obviously none of you care enough to explain how I could listen to this on my current set up and make mixes that will benefit from it.

I'm too stuck stuck on stupid and special needs for anyone to bother wasting time on, you are all soooooo great.

keep shinin

Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Nov. 12 2010, 12:00 PM)

sorry I asked, obviously none of you care enough to explain how I could listen to this on my current set up and make mixes that will benefit from it.

Martyrs to the left please.

You would need to have a 5.1, 10.2, 7.2 etc decoder and monitoring to match.

http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_mixing_budget/

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=5.1+mixing