Studio

Track Shack actually has a very good ring to it, if you ask me.
And I’m not talking about room nodes. :agree:

Copper should come down a bit soon Bill… but you sound just like me. I filled up my car the other afternoon at $2.29 a gallon. This morning I drove by the same place… it was $1.99 a gallon. D’OH!

D

Quote:

I'm waiting for you to get back in the telescope building (whatever-it's-called)..
and post some photos of the part of space your interested in viewing..

The Observatory - My work is done there. I got it built and now folks with a passion for astronomy have taken it over. Took seven years of my life but it was well worth it. Now I just show up a few times a year as the old man that started it all.

I like your ceiling tiles - going into a grid I presume. Those are fun - get a small magnetic level. :agree:

Hi Poppa Willis:

I would have somehow kept my Foot in the Door and my finger on the pulse…
for that Observatory…
I wouldn’t know how to do it…
BUT
Seven Years…

Anyway, I ran short of Rafter Insulation by
four pieces…
The insulation comes in a bail of 24 pieces…
A bail is around $40.00
Here’s a photo update…

Rafter Insulation Shortfall

I’m gonna move on and start the wire’ing…
so I can get the walls insulated…

The room is taking on an acoustic character now that 90% of the rafters are padded down…
However, when the walls are insulated the rafters may need more treatment…

We’ll see…

Bill…

[EDIT]
I forgot to reply… The price of fuel at-the-pumps is set every other thursday night at midnight… For Friday morning… Friday morning it was 0.86.1 per litre… That’s down from 0.91.1 per litre… It’s still way above where it should be… compared to other parts of the country… A similar amount of fuel in US Gallons and in USD is … if my arithmatic is correct is $2.73 per gallon in USD…

The Hollis Street Gang… (the Provincial Government) has their fingers into private enterprise beyond any stretch of one’s amigination… No one seems to know where all the tax money from energy goes… ???? What a Cash Cow they have going…

Sorry about the RANT… My Studio is hurting as a result… of the Fuel Prices…

You really should check into the spray foam insulation Bill - it will save you a lot in heating and the plus side bonus effect will be excellent sound-proofing - I’ve used it on everything I’ve built. Guy is in and out in an hour on a project your size.

I hear you Poppa Willis…

I will look into it before the walls get covered…
My concern is…
Is the foam insulation formaldehyde free…
????
Years ago it wasn’t such a big TO-DO…
But in this day-and-age the younger generation that is coming along, is so Green … they’re Green…

Bill…

I don’t know of any spray product that use formaldehyde this day and age - mostly petro based and new bio-based (soy) bio is more expensive of course. After the cure time of foam - 24 hours - the only health danger is breathing the smoke when you run back into the building while the fire is raging trying to save your computer.
EnviroFoam FAQ

Here is another link: http://www.sprayfoam.com/
(Did not look around too much.)

Another consideration is sound conductivity. Spray foam may not block sound as well as the heavier pink stuff. (neither actually blocks, but attenuates what goes through, based on the mass and thickness of each)

I seem to remember an article in a recording magazine from long ago that was mostly about creating portable isolation vocal booths. The thought being that those flat polyfoam insulation panels could be used to create isolation booths that were so light they could be easily moved around in the studio. This foam is the the same stuff those cheap whithe and light coolers are made of. In real practice, the booths were indeed light and could be moved around. They were also so insulated that the person inside would nearly fry from built up heat after a while, yet the sound blocking properties were not good at all. Foam having little mass did not fit the bill in those experiments. Any isolation booth of this type would be warm, as will any sound proofed room, but if one has much better isolation then clearly one is better than the other for the purpose at hand, which was isolation.

That white foam worked almost as well as the pink stuff at higher frequencies, for thin thicknesses, but not nearly as well for lower frequencies when thicker construction was used. That is were the heavier mass of the pink stuff was way better. Again that was for the same thicknesses of each. Visualize 6 inches of foam and 6 inches of glass insulation.

None of that may matter for your project of course. Spraying that stuff in the ceiling and walls is WAY easier and there are many other advantages as well…specially is there is any dampness or critter around.

A good spray guy can ‘dial in’ the foam density for you in the mix. Yes they mix too!

Hi Gents:

Thank you for your comments and replying to this acoustic/insulation treatment discussion…

At this point-in-time I think the room is gonna need quite a bit of work if this area is gonna become a Tracking Room…
We’ll have to wait and see as the walls become insulated…
However, it may work as a Mixing Room…
Isolation and Insulation looks as if they are two different issues to address…
I can hear the Room taking on an Acoustic Character from the first time I entered it…

I notice at the Building Yards, that there is some interesting material for insulation, that is in square bails…
I believe it’s some kind of chipped material that gets “Blown” into walls by some kind of machine, after the walls are constructed…
A couple of holes are drilled and the material is blown into the spaces between the studs… You rent this machine and you install this stuff by yourself. I’m hearing that this stuff conditions the walls for insulation as well as acoustic damping and all…
I believe this material is used for retro insulating older homes…

Bill…

That’s what we used to call cellulose. You may be right on the room being a mix room - that rolling door might let every barking dog and passing truck come through on a mic. Cold air too.

I’m somewhat surprised so far with how the roll up door is sounding-and-behaving to the temperatures…
It is an insulated door, whatever that means…
If I stand next to it it’s no colder than standing next to the walls…
Today is a wet and windy day here…
The temperature is in the mid teens…
Quite mild for this time of year…
That’s about the mid 50’s…
It’s tough to make this assumption, but there is more weather noise coming through the uninsulated walls then what is heard through the roof…
AND nothing through the roll-up door…
However, the roll-up door is not facing the weather…
My plan is to fasten some dense foam matting to the roll-up door so as to reduce any reflection from the opposite wall facing the door…
We’ll see…

I am gonna look into a Make-up Order for the 23" x 48" friction-fit insulation Short Fall…
I need 4 panels to complete the rafters…
This stuff has the consistency of Cotton Batten and quite dense in comparison to “Pink” fibre glass 15" x 48" fibre glass panels…
The Pink Panels are quite course and less dense (or Lighter-in-Weight) in comparison… As well…
I need 4 panels to cover the gable ends…
Maybe, I should just go and get another bundle…

Bill…

I’m back to report that I got the “Make-up” order of insulation to complete the rafter work…
I need to do the Gable ends now…
It’ll take maybe, six pieces…
We’ll see…
I don’t have any photos of the completed work…
But I’ll get that done…
I have no work tomorrow (Monday)…
I want to get the Power/Breaker Panel installed and get busy with the wiring…

We had a snow storm and Big Blow come up the coast from The Carolina’s…
It was bad…
We got dumped on…
Some 20-to-24" of it…
I just got shoveled out…
I got a 4-5 ft plow bank out at the end of the driveway…
I guess Winter has Arrived…
:p
:disagree:

I got some Mood Lighting for the room…
12 MINI Pot- Light Fixtures…
I think I’ll get another 4-or-8 of them for the rest of the floor area…
We’ll see…
I’d like to Get 2-way dimmer switches… However, Dimmers are a NO-NO in Studios…

Bill…
[EDIT]
I wanted to add some remarks to my post… However, I got a random restart of this P-111 I need some RAM for this thing., BIG TIME… IT never stops…

Anyway, now that the sofits are closed-in and the insulation is in and complete, the room has taken on an Acoustic Flavor that sounds positive and going in the correct direction… It remains to be seen how the the character will be when the wiring gets completed and walls get insulated… We’ll see…

I’m back to report that I have uploaded the latest series of photos…
The link to the photos is somewhere on the thread…

There isn’t much happening out there…
It’s quite cold…
No heat is gonna slow any productivity down to a crawl…
The weather report is forecasting some mild weather for the next several days…
It’s warming up to rain…
We have weather coming in from the Ohio Region…
OR … South of the Great Lakes…
Maybe, I’ll get the Gable Ends insulated…
We’ll see…
That will still not help to warm up the room…
Cold-is-Cold…

Bill…

Woxner Studio PICS

There ya’ go… :)

Updated report:

I completed the Rafter-and-Gable end insulation today…
I updated the photo page with photos of the work… Link to Photo Page

Today there was some serious discussion regarding the Wiring work…
The Power/Distribution Panel should be here sometime this coming week…
Discussion over how much Heating should be installed…
The electrician recommends that three heaters be installed…
Two 1000 watt heaters under the windows.
and One 1500 watt heater midway on the opposite wall…
Wired to operate independently or in shared operation by one thermostat…
I’m looking forward to getting heat out there… ( temporary heating is with a 1500 watt baseboard standalone heater)…
and insulating the walls…
After a hour-or-so of operation I had to turn it off…
Working in the rafters on a stepladder … it got pretty warm…

I have 24 units of Mood Lighting with Flesh-Tone Gel Paper… to install in the rafter area…
We’ll see…

Bill…

Lighting sounds real nice Bill!

While discussing this with the electrician, I suggested that 1200 watts is gonna make a reasonable amount of heat… The fixtures are gonna need some modification as not to trap extra heat and melt the Gel Paper… SO… I suggested that I would like to series each pair of fixtures to reduce the power per fixture… to half the bulb wattage… He didn’t take to that… I don’t need all the light level… I just need the Mood Atmosphere… I need the light level over the Console/Desk area…It’s gonna be tough to know in advance how much level is gonna be required till the desk gets in position… We’ll see… I need to begin to take notes… I find it tough to remember some of the details that rushes through my imagination and then try to remember them when discussion takes place…

I’m still considering One-Inch Spruce-or-Pine for the walls… The one mill I talked to suggests multi-width planks… They could be up to 10" wide… However, it’s pretty pricey…

Bill…

Electrical Wiring Update:

The power panel has arrived…
I don’t have any photos to upload yet…
Maybe, tomorrow…
I’m looking forward to getting some real power out there…
There is a noticeable drop in voltage when I plug in the heater when I have any lights on…
It’s a stress on the mitre saw and table saw when I power them up, as well…
He set me up with a 12 Gauge extension cord till I get the power panel mounted-and-installed…
It’s tough to get any current through a 16 Gauge extension cord…
when your 100 feet away from the power source…

Bill…

Bill
You are doing one ‘monster of a job’ up there.
Looks really good. Maybe in the future you can explore
solar heating. Or start using a LOT of CFC’s to hasten
the global warming thing. Pollution is your friend.
Can’t wait to see a pic of you with your bass, in your
new studio digs, cranking out the smooth grooves.
:)