The Decider

Quote (TomS @ April 25 2006,20:15)
I’m sorry, but I have to post this:

<!–QuoteBegin>
Bush threatens to veto Iraq funding bill
Reuters - 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush threatened on Tuesday to veto a bill to fund the Iraq war and Hurricane Katrina rebuilding if its cost exceeds $92.2 billion, as he weighed in on a heated Senate debate over the bill’s rising price tag. The veto threat, announced in a White House statement on the $106.5 billion emergency spending measure, was aimed at placating conservatives in Bush’s Republican Party who are irate over extra items added that they deem as “special-interest” spending.

And who put the extra items in?

And who are these conservatives who are supposed to be “irate.” Why didn’t the story list a few by name and provide some quotes to show how “irate” they are?? Perhaps this is a bit of LMSM melodrama???

Quote (TomS @ April 25 2006,20:15)
<!–QuoteBegin>
Pet Projects Unleash Anger in Republican Ranks
Items unrelated to the war or hurricane relief in an emergency bill test the resolve of senators.
By Richard Simon, Times Staff Writer
April 25, 2006

WASHINGTON ? Slipping pet projects into spending bills long has been a point of pride among Washington’s lawmakers. But growing discord over the practice is expected to pit Republican against Republican this week in the GOP-controlled Congress.

The major dispute involves projects contained in a “must-pass” emergency spending bill for the war in Iraq and Hurricane Katrina relief efforts. A handful of Republican senators plan to challenge several of the funding requests unrelated to the war or hurricane recovery.

The most controversial request seeks $700 million to help pay for moving railroad tracks in Mississippi. The state’s two influential GOP senators, Trent Lott and Thad Cochran, are pushing the project. But it is strongly opposed by Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.).

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-pork25apr25,1,2973341.story

Maybe dividers are sort of nonpartisan. :)

Actually, based on the stories you posted and how they were written, it would appear that it is the reporters in the LMSM who are acting as dividers by suggesting there is “anger” in the Republican party, but without providing any substantiation to show where that notion was derived. They claim that one senator strongly opposes spending items, but is that really “anger???” Oh, we have third-party quotes from non-Congressional organizations (think tanks and watchdog groups), but no actual quotes from Republican congresspersons that display any signs of anger. Was this an intentional mischaracterization or did they just forget to include relevant support for the claim made in the headline??? Enquiring minds want to know. :D

Quote (DrGuitar @ April 25 2006,20:51)
<!–QuoteBegin>
Will your world view collapse without it?? This is just silly to place so much emphasis on it.

Look ksdb, you continue to make statements that have no basis in fact. Here is one fact that you have overlooked. I agreed with Kingfish on a couple of positive things Bush has done. So your statement,
<!–QuoteBegin>
The demand is arbitrary and dishonest. It’s an excuse for DrG to engage in a pointless debate in which he’ll automatically disagree with everything listed
is just plain false.

Dude, were you fibbing below or do you just change your position depending on who makes a claim??

<!–QuoteBegin>
I am being completely honest when I say I can not find anything good GW has done for the average american.

The problem I have with your posts are more on the line of them being a flame of twisted half-truths that have no basis in real facts. You are the guy yelling fire in a crowded theater where there is no fire. That is the reason for the question about giving 3 positive things Bush has done. I wanted to see if you really had any knowledge at all or you were all bark. Obviously Kingfish has much more knowledge than either of us on positive things done by the Bush administration and I thanked him for that info.

His hydrogen cell inititive has yet to really get off the ground, but it is a real step away from oil ( I only wish it were a solar cell inititive :( )

But if all you have is smoke and mirrors to contribute to the conversation then you are nothing but a flame here. The question was valid and my response was honest to the positives Kingfish pointed out. So as far as my scoring goes, you are still batting .000 .

The problem with your posts is that you’re creating some sort of a contest without actually having voluntary participants. I mean, really, you’re keeping score when no one ever agreed to play. That’s just bizarre.

Quote (phoo @ April 25 2006,19:07)
<!–QuoteBegin>
The demand is arbitrary and dishonest.

Bull…that’s a perfectly valid question. Name one if you can’t find three. Got to start somewhere.

Says who??

Look, think of it this way. Dr.G tells everyone he hates vegetables. He can’t stand the smell and he can’t stand the taste and he wishes that all the vegetables would be gathered in a big pile and burned so there were never any more vegetables in the world. Someone (like me) says, “That’s kind of extreme.” Dr.G responds with a challenge, "Well name me three vegetables that taste good, but they have to be vegetables I like or it doesn’t count."

What’s the point of playing a game like that??

Then TomS and MrSoul and Phoo and Kingfish all say, “Yeah, name some vegetables that are good,” even though you guys all hate vegetables. TomS says, “I like cheesy broccoli, but I don’t like the broccoli so much, just the cheese on top.” And Mr.Soul say, “I like fried green tomatoes, but tomatoes aren’t really vegetables.”

And then Phoo says, well name one vegetable. because “you gotta start somewhere.” Well, no I don’t. It doesn’t matter if I name one, three or 12. I’m not going to change your minds. And further, I don’t feel the need to try nor do I feel the need to defend vegetables because I like them JUST fine.

<!–QuoteBegin>

It’s not congress’s job to “over-see” the executive branch.

This statement is laughable & hardly worth commenting on, but it is indeed a function of the legislative to oversee the Executive or they would not have been given power to impeach. I’m not talking about micro-managing - I’m talking about checks & balances. There are currently little to no checks & balances occuring right now.

TomS - the Attorney General has said many times that the spy program is legal. Of course, I don’t agree with him but that’s the admin’s position, i.e., they don’t think they are breaking the law. And here is a perfect example of a checks & balance that Congress & the Courts need to do. It’s clear to me that the President broke the FISA law & he lied about it in one of his speeches (when he said that they still had to get warrants for wiretaps).

You’re also wasting your time debating with ksdb. He’ll nauance the argument away, or he’ll try to discredit every source and/or link you provide him (witness what he’s already said). Good luck trying to reason with him - he’s about as narrow-minded & biased as they come.

It’s pitiful that he won’t come up with a list. Whatcha’ afraid of ksdb?

Darn, KSDB,
You’ve been asked since the origin of this thread to come up with 3 ideas, and the last response was to come up with one.

Your response was that “no, cant do that because they will make fun of my ideas”.

So What?

Please go on.

I want to hear it.

chiller.

<!–QuoteBegin>

<!–QuoteBegin>
Look ksdb, you continue to make statements that have no basis in fact. Here is one fact that you have overlooked. I agreed with Kingfish on a couple of positive things Bush has done. So your statement,
<!–QuoteBegin>

The demand is arbitrary and dishonest. It’s an excuse for DrG to engage in a pointless debate in which he’ll automatically disagree with everything listed

is just plain false.

Dude, were you fibbing below or do you just change your position depending on who makes a claim??

<!–QuoteBegin>

I am being completely honest when I say I can not find anything good GW has done for the average american.

You would make a heck of a politician ksdb (a republican one), The second post was made BEFORE Kingfish pointed out positives. So your idea is to put it backward and call me a liar. You have to do better than that to have anyone believe your spins.

I made a simple request, you have spun it into a mountain of sidestepping. It is obvious that you are clueless as to any positives of this administration or you would have answered and been done with it. Instead you try to spin your lack of positives into some sort of “it’s my ball and I don’t want you to have it…”. If you actually believed in GW Bush, you would give him the credit he deserves. I have given him more credit than you have by acknowledging positives Kingfish pointed out. Do you like him or not? Your spin is so wacky that your point has become pointless.

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit…

“I came here for an argument!”

“No you didn’t.”

“Yes I did.”

"No you didn’t."

ksdb version…

ksdb: "The democrats are dividers…"

DrG: "Well if you like Bush so much, give me three reasons why…"

ksdb: "I don’t wanna…"

DrG: "sigh… why?"

ksdb: "Cause you are a liberal and I don’t like liberals…"

DrG: "good grief…"

ksdb: "democrats are dividers and have no good ideas!"

DrG: “sigh…”

:laugh:
Quote (DrGuitar @ April 26 2006,00:14)

The demand is arbitrary and dishonest. It's an excuse for DrG to engage in a pointless debate in which he'll automatically disagree with everything listed
is just plain false.

You would make a heck of a politician ksdb (a republican one), The second post was made BEFORE Kingfish pointed out positives. So your idea is to put it backward and call me a liar. You have to do better than that to have anyone believe your spins.

I made a simple request, you have spun it into a mountain of sidestepping. It is obvious that you are clueless as to any positives of this administration or you would have answered and been done with it. Instead you try to spin your lack of positives into some sort of "it's my ball and I don't want you to have it..". If you actually believed in GW Bush, you would give him the credit he deserves. I have given him more credit than you have by acknowledging positives Kingfish pointed out. Do you like him or not? Your spin is so wacky that your point has become pointless.

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit...

"I came here for an argument!"

"No you didn't."

"Yes I did."

"No you didn't."

ksdb version...

ksdb: "The democrats are dividers..."

DrG: "Well if you like Bush so much, give me three reasons why..."

ksdb: "I don't wanna..."

DrG: "sigh... why?"

ksdb: "Cause you are a liberal and I don't like liberals..."

DrG: "good grief..."

ksdb: "democrats are dividers and have no good ideas!"

DrG: "sigh....."

:laugh:
Leave it to Dr.G to NOT be able to come up with an original idea.
Quote (Mr Soul @ April 25 2006,23:24)
It's not congress's job to "over-see" the executive branch.

This statement is laughable & hardly worth commenting on, but it is indeed a function of the legislative to oversee the Executive or they would not have been given power to impeach. I'm not talking about micro-managing - I'm talking about checks & balances. There are currently little to no checks & balances occuring right now.

TomS - the Attorney General has said many times that the spy program is legal. Of course, I don't agree with him but that's the admin's position, i.e., they don't think they are breaking the legal. And here is a perfect example of a checks & balance that Congress & the Courts need to do. It's clear to me that the President broke the FISA law & he lied about it in one of his speeches (when he said that they still had to get warrants for wiretaps).

You're also wasting your time debating with ksdb. He'll nauance the argument away, or he'll try to discredit every source and/or link you provide him (witness what he's already said). Good luck trying to reason with him - he's about as narrow-minded & biased as they come.

It's pitiful that he won't come up with a list. Whatcha' afraid of ksdb?
Leave it to Mrs.Oul to pick one sentence and quote it out of context to try to build an argument.
Quote (Guest @ April 25 2006,23:37)
Darn, KSDB,
You've been asked since the origin of this thread to come up with 3 ideas, and the last response was to come up with one.

Your response was that "no, cant do that because they will make fun of my ideas".

So What?

Please go on.

I want to hear it.

chiller.

Leave it to chiller to misunderstand simple explanations and misquote me.

It’s nice to see good ole ksdb back on top form, writing page after page saying absolutely nothing :D

Quote (Guest @ April 26 2006,01:51)
It’s nice to see good ole ksdb back on top form, writing page after page saying absolutely nothing :D

Thanks Jerry’s Kid, one has to keep it on a level that you can understand.
Quote (ksdb @ April 26 2006,02:09)
It's nice to see good ole ksdb back on top form, writing page after page saying absolutely nothing :D

Thanks Jerry's Kid, one has to keep it on a level that you can understand.

Thank you, I'm perfectly capable of understanding what you're saying. What I don't understand is why you bother first saying nothing and then explaining for days what you did not say and why you didn't say it.

Awww come on ksdb… You seem like a nice feller. Can’t ya think of anything nice ta say bout me?

By the way, how do ya register in this here forum? Dick, git over here a second and see if you can figger out this forum thingy…

Quote (Guest @ April 26 2006,04:49)
Quote (ksdb @ April 26 2006,02:09)
It's nice to see good ole ksdb back on top form, writing page after page saying absolutely nothing :D

Thanks Jerry's Kid, one has to keep it on a level that you can understand.

Thank you, I'm perfectly capable of understanding what you're saying. What I don't understand is why you bother first saying nothing and then explaining for days what you did not say and why you didn't say it.

The bigger puzzle is why you would ask or care??

Quote (Guest @ April 26 2006,08:28)
Awww come on ksdb… You seem like a nice feller. Can’t ya think of anything nice ta say bout me?

By the way, how do ya register in this here forum? Dick, git over here a second and see if you can figger out this forum thingy…

Aw, gee, Dubya, you have plenty of accomplishments listed at www.whitehouse.gov. I’m not a bitter, irrational hater who is unwilling to accept that there are valid accomplishments listed there and elsewhere. I don’t have a psychopathic need to try to put other n-Track posters on the spot with dishonest demands.
Quote (ksdb @ April 25 2006,19:47)
Quote (BillClarke @ April 25 2006,18:21)

Substantiation be damned. If you can't defend the man with three simple examples, what the #### are you defending?

Very interesting, you start by pretending to take higher ground and then end with comments that must be filtered?? Why does it matter to you whether I can come up with such a list?? Will your world view collapse without it?? This is just silly to place so much emphasis on it.

Can you not infer from the context that the filtered word was 'heII'?

Are you suggesting that the use of one mild 'cuss' word disqualifies one from the 'higher ground'? Not that I am claiming such property.

It doesn't really matter to me that you cannot come up with such a list, I was simply trying to provide some perspective.

Why aren’t you in Iraq?

You must really hate America.

Quote (Guest @ April 26 2006,09:51)
Why aren't you in Iraq?

You must really hate America.

That was directed at KSDB and not Mr. Clarke.

Quote (BillClarke @ April 26 2006,09:50)

Can you not infer from the context that the filtered word was ‘heII’?

Inferences or not, surely you understand that expressing yourself this way creates a hostile environment.

Are you suggesting that the use of one mild ‘cuss’ word disqualifies one from the ‘higher ground’? Not that I am claiming such property.

What exactly are you claiming when you pick sides by pretending to bring "perspective?"

It doesn’t really matter to me that you cannot come up with such a list, I was simply trying to provide some perspective.

I can come up with a list. I choose NOT to because it does NOT serve an honest purpose, which I’ve explained. I have no obligation to feed Bush-hating trolls.

Awww ksdb, ya know that stuff on the white house web thingy is all fluff and padding. Ya know ya got ta do that sorta thing when you’re applyin’ fer a job. Rovey thought it would be a nice touch to put that sorta stuff up there sos I would look all important like.

Nah, I was hopin’ ya could shed some light fer these good ol’ boys bout some of my better accomplishments. Ya know, like that “no youngin’ left behind”… I really liked that one. It keeps families from fergettin their kids and leavin them at a mall or such. And that medicare prescription plan thing. I thought that was a goodin but my Maw keeps a callin me trying ta figger out what plan works best fer her. I tell her to just go ask Dad, he’s a smart guy. Not sure why he keeps mumblin “Stay the course” and “A thousand points a light”. What is a “point a light” anywho.

Well, I’m a countin on ya ksdb. Do me proud…