This Forum

I’d like to contribute to this forum but its plain i’m never going to be able to.
i’ve posted a few things that i thought would be helpful, but got no response so i presume they werent helpful & were unwanted.
Youguys are just w ay over my head technically & i dont want to talk about my computer all day.
personally i think you should broaden the forum out with less techy sections to tryy to attract more posters. have you seen the number of people who just lurk, they far out number the few who do post.
anyway i thankyou for all the help youve offered us, but i didnt understand a lot of it unfortunately.
i think we well just have to stop by when were stuck if you dont mind& maybe posta new song whenever
cheers guys

TinaM

Did you lurk first? :laugh:

I don’t believe anyone could make a forum be anything. They have a core subject and then it has it’s active and passive users. It’s public and organic.
I’ve learned so much from this place on a subject that I’ve always wanted a better understanding of. I feel lucky. I couldn’t afford to pay for a course this meaty.
This forum has real wizard like genius.

PS. Tina. You’ve made real and positive input and involved yourself. Sorry you feel like that. I was enjoying your company and I don’t think I’m alone.
Have you still got un-resolved issues with n-T?

Tina! I’ve sussed it - a lack of females - don’t go!

Music tech is often tagged in the media as ‘Boys Toys’
:agree:

Facebook reduced the activity here a lot, too. There is nothing in any of this that is over your head, and I like to hear myself speak and see myself talk, so I will answer all questions at great length for as long as anyone wants to read or listen. Anyway, how will we ever get better?

You also might enjoy the tape op forum, Tina.

In any case, you totally contributed because, as I said, FB and such really reduced the activity here a lot. We all used to post here a whole bunch all the time, every day. Lot of that community has gone. When you posted your stuff it was like a new friend had moved into the neighborhood, and we really need lots of new friends here.

I won’t say anything techie, if that helps. And I know squat about tech stuff anyway.

Hi Everyone:

This Forum contains a good cross-section of musically creative minds…
However, when they are not creating music they are talking about what they did on their last project that they’d like to make better on their next project or how they can make do with what they did years ago on their present setups… I can tell you all, that the people who frequent this Board are the cleverest people in the music business… Your gonna find that on other boards, as well…
However, I’ve found that other boards are even gonna be more (clicky ????), when it comes to the topic starters… I can also tell you that if you ask the right questions up here on this board your gonna get a real honest answer to your questions, weather you like it or not…
is up to you to decide, how you perceive the answer you get…
If you don’t get a reply to your topic, you may not have asked the question correctly…
This board as well as other boards all go through their Up-and-Downs… Believe me and others, up here… From my past expirence, the drag’em out subjects may not even have been audio topics…
I have discovered that this board caters to predominantly English speaking musicians…
I’d have to say that is a shame for us…
as we could really benefit from other audio minded musicians who don’t speak English as their native language…
I believe that these musicians are the lurkers…
There are others, as well…
So,… many of the real heavy-duty audio guys just come over here to lurk and see what’s going on here before they start their Audio Day… Most of them don’t even reply to any of the topics…

It’s very seldom that I reply to these kinds of topics…
However, I’m saying my TO-DO’s here on this topic, this time…
SO, tell me ?
I have no idea why I’m doing it, this time… ???

Here’s something else I can tell you…
It’s a good Audio Board to be around… :agree:

So there…
:)
:p

Bill…

Quote: (woxnerw @ Oct. 08 2010, 5:45 AM)

I have discovered that this board caters to predominantly English speaking musicians..
I'd have to say that is a shame for us..
as we could really benefit from other audio minded musicians who don't speak English as their native language..
I believe that these musicians are the lurkers..

that's precisely my point Bill.
I dont speak the same language as you guys!

Tony & Tom youre lovely people, i got upset when i read your replies

TinaM
Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 08 2010, 6:12 AM)

Quote: (woxnerw @ Oct. 08 2010, 5:45 AM)

I have discovered that this board caters to predominantly English speaking musicians..
I'd have to say that is a shame for us..
as we could really benefit from other audio minded musicians who don't speak English as their native language..
I believe that these musicians are the lurkers..

that's precisely my point Bill.
I dont speak the same language as you guys!

Tony & Tom youre lovely people, i got upset when i read your replies

TinaM

Hi Tina. I think ur hot! :)

Unknown1t would be Hugh Jass, aka Horace Frankendoodle, aka Flanders, Tina, pay him no mind, we keep him around as sort of a negative barometer.

Sorry, sorry, sorry if I upset you. This forum has been a bit quite for a few months, and it is great that people are posting great music again. :agree:

Honestly guys I’m not a prima donna, i dont want to cause a fuss.
I’ve only just joined so its a bit steep of me suggesting things should change, but I was appalled how dead this forum seemed & it did seem obvious why at the time.
You’ve changed my mind.

TinaM

Cool. You working on tunes?

Sounds like she would have liked the good ole’ days here.

Remember all the political and religious debates of yesteryears?

Good times people good times

I am one of those people guilty of much lurking but not posting…and agree partly because post do not get responded too…which raises the question chicken of the egg, someone has to skip the first stone, know what I mean??

and then there is all the grief you get when you critique a song in the music section, geez, just tryin’ to help.
???

One thing that does upset me sometimes is the search function.
Like when I want to look up some info on compression I KNOW I READ HERE A FEW YEARS AGO…do a search with the word “compression” and a persons name I could remember being there…lost of threads with that word somewhere, but not the thread I need.
I just got in the habit of bookmarking threads that got something I plan on coming back for…'cause two years from now forget trying to find it.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Crikey, religous & political debates! maybe things arent so bad at the present after all.
Jerm (can i call you jerm? it sonds a bit insulting)I have actualy never found a search function on any forum that gave me anything usefull, & just thought it was me not nowing how to use them properly.

Tony, yes weve written 2 new songs & are planning videos for them as we record them so it willbe next year before anything surfaces. So were also remixing some older stuff now we know a bit more, thanks to this forum.

We tried to record Allison’s vocals last night & with evry take there was more lag & we had to abandon it. We’ve not had this problem since brfore we got our M-audio soundcard. If we cant sort it I will post a new thread to ask for help.

Unknown1 you must be hot aswell, with that bag on your head!

TinaM

This forum has used up quite a number of people.
Some of them just went away to other fora, a couple of times they made their own, I guess that’s normal.
There were a number of people who really knew a lot about recording and songwriting and the industry.
They got ticked off by politics, flamers, religion, the usual stuff.
Mr. Clark’s been around for a long, long time, Bill Oxner…phoo…I started using n-Track in 1998, I think it was.
jerm, you’re an old man too.
:laugh:
I still wonder what happened to Limey and the Green Guy.

Plus, there are so many DAW options now, it’s so tempting to try them all (yes, I own 5 different DAW programs…)
???

Quote: (TinaM @ Oct. 09 2010, 9:19 AM)

We tried to record Allison's vocals last night & with evry take there was more lag & we had to abandon it. We've not had this problem since brfore we got our M-audio soundcard. If we cant sort it I will post a new thread to ask for help.

Yes you may call me jerm,
I am not insulted in the slightest for it, it is my nick name, and like everything about a person what makes them different is what makes them unique.

I had an M-audio firewire break out box for a while. 410 I think it was, not as good as the PCI card I think you have mentioned on here before that you are using.
I also had one of those years back but couldn't even get the drivers for it to work.

Lag is not all that bad if you know how to deal with it! lol

IT's all a matter of lining up the track, if it is lagged by say .03 seconds you simply move the track to the left .03 seconds and problem solved.
However if the lag is gradual and gets worse throughout the track (increasing) then it is more problematic.

You have a 1/2 sec or so on a vocal before it is noticeable lag (depending on the BPM of the song sometimes more) so all you have to do is get it close, then sometimes add some delay to get it to sit right.

Sometimes it's not lag at all, but the snap to setting, so I would check that and makes sure it is at 0.
If you find the lag is consistent (meaning the same all the way through the song) you could in theory adjust the snap to setting to offset it, but that is a hit or miss, if it was .08 seconds of lag and you set the snap setting to .08 "in theory" it would correct the lag by offsetting the starting point of recording equally to the amount of time lag.
It should be noted however that lag is rarely constant, and when it is it is the snap setting or some other thing that is causing that consistency and not the lack of processing often associated with the term lag.
If it is true lag (the computer just not being able to keep up with the calculations of both playing ONE track and recording others at the same time) if you have made a mixdown of the song to play while recording vocals and all other non-essential programs of the computer are off and the Ntrack is set to highest priority in the Settings area, there are still a couple of things we could try to resolve it.

I am assuming you have the ASIO drivers installed.
Also, there are a couple of other things to mention, see what the proggy is set up to do, "use system timer" "use wav. timer". I don't remember which worked best with the M-audio box I had but I did have to tweak it a bit if memory serves me correct.

Last but not least, if all else fails use the computer like a tape deck or reel to reel, that is, use one device to play the track (with a count in click track) and the computer to record the vocal.
You could put the wav. file of the song on a mp3 player (if it plays wav.) or CD player that plays wav. and press play while you sing, then using the click intro line it up to the original song.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Thing is, the latency should not be there in the first place.

Are you recording with any plugins inserted?

many thanks Jerm for the long list of ways t resolve the lag problem
We cant use the assio drivers for some reason they dont work & are using these wdm ones which have always served us well.
i have to agree with you Tom that there shouldnt be any lag surely. Were not using any plug ins.

Anyway i’m totally confused,i packed my other half of to the horse of the y ear show & my youngest to bed, (i cant find the older one but never mind that). Plugged the guitar in & jammed along to a backing track 8 times & each time it was all in sync!
So what’s that all about?
if it happens with Allisons vocals next time I’ll start anew thread in the proper secton before a mod tells me off.
maybe the vodka is sorting everything out!

TinaM

What drivers are you using with the M-Audio?
Brace yourself, Tina, it gets techi now.
:laugh: