To collaborators from long ago

Several (maybe more than several) years ago I was involved in collaborations with several N-trackers. Just touching base with everybody. There was Bruffie (now Willy Eckerslike), Diogenes (Now Unblown_Jonson), Teryeah (still Teryeah), Yaz (still Yaz), TomS (still TomS), and Melody Lewis.

We has some great collaborations back in the day. I have not been so fortunate with finding collaborations since them. I miss it.
Willey, do you still have a copy of the song that you, Unblown, Yaz and I collaborated on? I have lost the final version.

TomS will remember one that I killed off with procastination (the Exquisite Corpse thingy). That is still an extremely interesting idea that you had.

Teryeah, we never quite finished the collab that we worked on with Melody Lewis. I wish we could finish that one off. That was an excellent song. I really got a kick out of the way Melody incorporated pieces of the e-mails that we were sending back and forth into the song lyrics. She was really a clever lyricist, and man could she sing. Do you ever see her on the forum these days? Also I still marvel at the coolness of the crunchy guitar part you added, and that wasn’t even the final version. I enjoy listening to that recording every so often. I dropped the ball on that song too. Never could come up with a good intro, and then just just got lost in work and left you all waiting. I don’t think that we ever posted a version on the forum. I feel bad about not finishing it, especially because Mel and you added so much.

Come to think of it, I dropped the ball to some extent on all of the collaborations. Oh well, it was still fun.

T

Note: This thread started in order to avoid barging in on other folks’ threads.

Good to see you Tim, it’s been far too long. Yeah…that song was a bundle of fun to do, if I remember right it started with me posting a bunch of lyrics dedicated to Yaz and you leaping on them with a great tune. I think it was You, Me, UJ(Dio) and Yaz?

Anyway, the only version I have is one where I did the vocals, I think Yaz has one where you did 2 verses with different words cos you guys were waiting for me to write extra lyrics :) So, I’m not sure there is a “final” version :)

Mine is here…
Muse

The Unfinished Corpse is a great work of art, precisely because it remains unfinished, which, in a sense, is the way it finished, and in good post-modern terms it present in its absence and all that. You supplied the Derridian component that allowed it to transcend what we ordinarily think of as music, to explore the interstices, the gaps, the interregnae between note and note, section and section. Brilliant, I must say. :agree:

I have that old track somewhere… I’ll have to scour the back-up UZZBEE disks for it. I should still have the stems you guys sent for me to add in my wankery. Have to check that out…

Good to see you around T. Life gets in the way doesn’t it? Yeesh…

UJ

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 24 2011, 7:47 AM)

The Unfinished Corpse is a great work of art, precisely because it remains unfinished, which, in a sense, is the way it finished, and in good post-modern terms it present in its absence and all that.
You supplied the Derridian component that allowed it to transcend what we ordinarily think of as music, to explore the interstices, the gaps, the interregnae between note and note, section and section.
Brilliant, I must say. :agree:

Folks, I just want you all to know that at some time in your life, you MUST attempt to perform music with a bona fide formally trained philosopher. TomS is the only one who has crossed my path, and I must say that every interaction is a revelation of some kind. Having learned that I supplied a Derridian component to a song, I figured that I better find out what is was that I had given.
Like any red blooded American in need of esoteric knowledge, I Googled. Google came up with the Merriam-Webster dictionary definition for Derridian:

Der
·ri
·da
biographical name \ˈde-rē-dä\
Definition of DERRIDA
Jacques 1930–2004 Fr. philos. & critic
— Der
·ri
·de
·an also Der
·ri
·di
·an \ËŒde-ri-ˈdÄ“-É™n\ adjective

Armed with the insight that I had found my way into association with an adjective, I decide to look up something that might enlighten me about this Derrida person. One fact that I learned from the Wikipedia is that

"In 2003, Derrida was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, which reduced his speaking and travelling engagements. He died in a hospital in Paris on the evening of 8 October 2004."

I can really empathize with this Derrida fellow, cause I am sure that death will cut into my speaking schedule too.

I am also getting the impression that everything associated with Derrida is a little confusing, which probably supports TomS' contention that I supplied a Derridian component to a song. And indeed I am quite sure that finishing the Unfinished Corpse would detract from the art of the... thing. Finally, I really am into interstices and interregnae, where I am sure that there is much to be found. So I will not suggest resurrecting the Corpse.

But perhaps there is another Derridian project awaiting somewhere out there, and now that I know that I have this gift of Deridian-ness to give, I'll keep my eyes open for it.

It sure is good hearing from you TomS. As I said before, always enlightening.

T
Quote: (Willy Eckerslike @ Jan. 23 2011, 9:37 PM)

Good to see you Tim, it's been far too long. Yeah...that song was a bundle of fun to do, if I remember right it started with me posting a bunch of lyrics dedicated to Yaz and you leaping on them with a great tune. I think it was You, Me, UJ(Dio) and Yaz?

Anyway, the only version I have is one where I did the vocals, I think Yaz has one where you did 2 verses with different words cos you guys were waiting for me to write extra lyrics :) So, I'm not sure there is a "final" version :)

Mine is here....
Muse

Yes it has been too long. I think the song is pretty well finished. The only thing that I can think to add is an angelic chorus singing over a couple of the instrumental riffs. Unfortunately, as most of the people that I know I are undoubtedly headed toward hell, I'm going to have to pass on recording this additional part.

But thanks for holding on to that last version of the song. I downloaded a copy to add to my collection of songs to which I have contributed a Derridian element.

T
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Jan. 24 2011, 8:42 AM)

I have that old track somewhere... I'll have to scour the back-up UZZBEE disks for it. I should still have the stems you guys sent for me to add in my wankery. Have to check that out...

Good to see you around T. Life gets in the way doesn't it? Yeesh...

UJ

Yes life does get in the way. Just started a new song though. I think I'll title it "This Derridian Life".

T

Ira Glass is heavily influenced by the Derridean idea of différance, no doubt about it.

Your contributions remain omnipresent in their (pre)sent absence. Keep it up!

(Philosophy humor, yep, lame, lame, lame…) :laugh:

Disclaimer: don’t take me seriously.

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 25 2011, 9:07 AM)

(Philosophy humor, yep, lame, lame, lame...) :laugh:

Isn't that Audio Compression Format humour?
Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 24 2011, 2:07 PM)

Ira Glass is heavily influenced by the Derridean idea of différance, no doubt about it.

Your contributions remain omnipresent in their (pre)sent absence.
Keep it up!

Darn it. Just as I have become omnipresent in the present absence of my presence, I go and make myself present and can no longer claim to be associated with omnipresence in any way.

That brings to mind a question TomS: Do you suppose that philosophers find life more difficult than others?

T
Quote: (tspringer @ Jan. 24 2011, 5:41 PM)

Do you suppose that philosophers find life more difficult than others?

Heck no... Even if they did, they'd quote some old dead Greek and explain why it's not difficult at all or it is but it means nothing or it means something but not everything or...

Kind of like my dad and the "Walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways..." speech. :laugh:

UJ
Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 24 2011, 5:25 PM)

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 25 2011, 9:07 AM)

Isn't that Audio Compression Format humour?

Mark A! I would be remiss if I did not take the opportunity to thank you for the help that you gave me many years ago when I was first trying to get my head around the use of a DAW. I have not forgotten.

But I am sorry to say that as savvy as you are about digital recording, your humor could stand a little help from your friendly local philosopher. You have GOT to work on your dynamics. Too flat. Too flat. Or is your delivery just too short?

T
Quote: (tspringer @ Jan. 25 2011, 12:59 PM)

Mark A! I would be remiss if I did not take the opportunity to thank you for the help that you gave me many years ago when I was first trying to get my head around the use of a DAW. I have not forgotten.

But I am sorry to say that as savvy as you are about digital recording, your humor could stand a little help from your friendly local philosopher. You have GOT to work on your dynamics. Too flat. Too flat. Or is your delivery just too short?

T

Well, thank you. Lots of people helped me when I got started so, y'know, you just try to spread the jam a little. I don't use n much nowadays (gone to the dark side) so my app-specific knowledge isn't that useful here. But like so many of us, we like the atmosphere here so we still chill here. And Flavio doesn't seem to mind.

As for humo(u)r, my wife has banned me from telling the "mushroom joke" ever again. In fact, she actually gets angry with me if I tell it. Y'know the one... it's pretty versatile... works in a multitude of guises.... here's one: wife dishes up food with mushrooms in it and I exclaim that it's a good job that the plate is so big or there wouldn't be mush-room for the vegetables. Baba boom! Thank you. I'm here all week.
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Jan. 25 2011, 12:57 PM)

Do you suppose that philosophers find life more difficult than others?

Heck no... Even if they did, they'd quote some old dead Greek and explain why it's not difficult at all or it is but it means nothing or it means something but not everything or...

Kind of like my dad and the "Walked to school in the snow, uphill both ways..." speech. :laugh:

UJ

Luxury! We used to dream of walking uphill to school in the snow. We used to get up three hours before we went to bed; licked the snow clean, (yellow or not), worked 25 hours in t' mill AND then went to school without breakfast.

… and you LOVED IT!!!

UJ

Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 24 2011, 2:07 PM)

Your contributions remain omnipresent in their (pre)sent absence.
Keep it up!

Darn it. Just as I have become omnipresent in the present absence of my presence, I go and make myself present and can no longer claim to be associated with omnipresence in any way.

That brings to mind a question TomS: Do you suppose that philosophers find life more difficult than others?

T

I dunno, but there is one problem associated with it.
I once asked a court reporter if she found herself keying everything people say (you know, court reporters use those funny little keyboards to type stuff at blazing speeds).
She said she did it no matter where she was, all the time, and hated it.
So, philosophers get trained to critique everything, to take each statement we hear or read or think of, and put it into logical form, think about the assumptions that are behind it, that sort of thing.
John Stuart Mill once claimed that it is better to be a dissatisfied Socrates than a satisfied pig, but I'm not all that convinced.

My wife, who has extensive musical training from Peabody Conservatory, does the same with music.
Always analyzing modulations and orchestrations and such.
We've had a debate for years as to whether this is a good or a bad thing.
We've not yet reached a conclusion.

I suspect this sort of occupational hazard is ubiquitous. I once met a lawyer for the USA environment agency, the EPA, on a train, we were riding cross-country, sitting with him as we pass through the Chicago-Milwaukee industrial corridor was really a trip - he just kept say "class 3 violation there....class 2 there..."
Quote: (Mark A @ Jan. 24 2011, 6:37 PM)

Luxury!
We used to dream of walking uphill to school in the snow.
We used to get up three hours before we went to bed; licked the snow clean, (yellow or not), worked 25 hours in t' mill AND then went to school without breakfast.

Eyup! Paradise lad.....tha' dunt know when tha's well off!
Quote: (TomS @ Jan. 25 2011, 5:41 AM)

I suspect this sort of occupational hazard is ubiquitous.
I once met a lawyer for the USA environment agency, the EPA, on a train, we were riding cross-country, sitting with him as we pass through the Chicago-Milwaukee industrial corridor was really a trip - he just kept say "class 3 violation there....class 2 there..."

Absolutely.....I'm an alleged Fire protection expert and spend a lot of my time with a crick in the neck from gazing at ceilings everywhere I go to see if there are Sprinklers there :)