To collaborators from long ago

The sad truth is that whatever we think or do we can’t please everybody, not even ourselves. Putting it in terms of some serious experimentation involving music (and trying to respect the fact that this is a music related forum), I’ve found that about 33% of the people who have heard the songs that I have written liked them. About 33% detested them. The third person really didn’t pay any attention.

T

Quote: (tspringer @ Jan. 25 2011, 7:12 AM)

The sad truth is that whatever we think or do we can't please everybody, not even ourselves. Putting it in terms of some serious experimentation involving music (and trying to respect the fact that this is a music related forum), I've found that about 33% of the people who have heard the songs that I have written liked them. About 33% detested them. The third person really didn't pay any attention.

T

I would say that's a fair assessment Tim. Of course we would all like people to like what we produce but, at the end of the day, you are writing to your own taste and, as with all things, that taste isn't everyones cup of tea. I think if you can please yourself that's a good start and if someone else appreciates the talent or even the effort then that's a big plus. I'd settle for 33% liking what I do :)
My problem is, frequently, when I revisit things I thought were good, I hear every little thing I think could have been better :)
Quote: (Willy Eckerslike @ Jan. 25 2011, 10:01 AM)

Quote: (tspringer @ Jan. 25 2011, 7:12 AM)

The sad truth is that whatever we think or do we can't please everybody, not even ourselves. Putting it in terms of some serious experimentation involving music (and trying to respect the fact that this is a music related forum), I've found that about 33% of the people who have heard the songs that I have written liked them. About 33% detested them. The third person really didn't pay any attention.

T

I would say that's a fair assessment Tim. Of course we would all like people to like what we produce but, at the end of the day, you are writing to your own taste and, as with all things, that taste isn't everyones cup of tea. I think if you can please yourself that's a good start and if someone else appreciates the talent or even the effort then that's a big plus. I'd settle for 33% liking what I do :)
My problem is, frequently, when I revisit things I thought were good, I hear every little thing I think could have been better :)

Well, the 33% thing sounds pretty good, except that the 33% was my wife. We had a little disagreement about three days ago. I put together the most logical response you can image concerning why I was right and she was wrong. You might be surprised to hear that she was so impressed with my thinking that it has left her speechless for the whole of the three days since. So, I can't rightfully claim that 33% of my audience will still say that my songs were good. The wonderful logic of my argumentation and TomS' claims regarding this Derridean thing have influenced me to change the title of the song I'm working on to be

"This Derridean Life: No Biscuits for Me".

I believe most of you fellas will appreciate the words to this song if it is ever finished.

T
Quote: (tspringer @ Jan. 23 2011, 6:24 PM)

Teryeah, we never quite finished the collab that we worked on with Melody Lewis. I wish we could finish that one off. That was an excellent song. I really got a kick out of the way Melody incorporated pieces of the e-mails that we were sending back and forth into the song lyrics. She was really a clever lyricist, and man could she sing. Do you ever see her on the forum these days? Also I still marvel at the coolness of the crunchy guitar part you added, and that wasn't even the final version.
I enjoy listening to that recording every so often. I dropped the ball on that song too. Never could come up with a good intro, and then just just got lost in work and left you all waiting.
I don't think that we ever posted a version on the forum. I feel bad about not finishing it, especially because Mel and you added so much.

I don't think I added all that much, just a rehearsal take, warts & all;
Gretsch --> POD --> DAW to show you what I was thinking.

It was Mel that made a SONG out of it, IMO.
Haven't seen her around for a long time.

Nice to have you back :)

Mel had an awesome voice. Shame she didn’t hang around so long :(

Well for Pete’s sake - hunt her down, ya old farts…

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 25 2011, 10:18 PM)

Well for Pete's sake - hunt her down, ya old farts....

Ya... tell her I want my DNA back...

UJ

PS 'Inside' joke... :laugh:
Quote: (teryeah @ Jan. 25 2011, 12:08 PM)

I don't think I added all that much, just a rehearsal take, warts & all;
Gretsch --> POD --> DAW to show you what I was thinking.

It was Mel that made a SONG out of it, IMO.
Haven't seen her around for a long time.

Nice to have you back
:)

Teryeah, what you did in that rehearsal take has fascinated me ever since I heard it the first time. You didn't play a single thing that was technically complex, but the way that it accented the song and supported everything else showed me that I don't really have a clue about how an electric guitar ought to be played.
I never posted the recording because I knew you saw what you had done as preliminary.
Would you mind if I posted the recording that I have? I think that folks would appreciate what you and Mel did. Maybe I'll try to track Mel down too.

T

This her?

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 26 2011, 8:43 PM)

Well done Poppa. You have found her. Did you listen to the song "Please Stay" on her Broadjam page? She got some pipes doesn't she?

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how keen she will be to respond to an email from me since I kind of left her dangling before. I guess it can't hurt to try.

T

Meh… Go for it. The gal can sing for sure.

And what’s wrong with leavin’ things danglin’?

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 26 2011, 11:34 PM)

And what's wrong with leavin' things danglin'?

The angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the... uh... never mind. :laugh:

Lord?? I apologize...

UJ
Quote: (Unblown_Jonson @ Jan. 28 2011, 2:57 AM)

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 26 2011, 11:34 PM)

And what's wrong with leavin' things danglin'?

The angle of the dangle is directly proportional to the... uh... never mind. :laugh:

Lord?? I apologize...

UJ

The chalice from the palace has the brew that is true.
Quote: (tspringer @ Jan. 26 2011, 7:12 PM)

Would you mind if I posted the recording that I have? I think that folks would appreciate what you and Mel did.

Post all you want.

But if anybody gives me any sh!t about my timing on that take
I'll come after y'all with something pointy & dangerous like a... like a... aaaaa... a spork.
Or something...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

So here is the collaboration between myself, Melody Lewis, and Teryeah.

Maybe It Sucks

It began life as rather lame instrumental that I posted.
For some reason, Melody Lewis took an interest in the tune, and she wrote some lyrics and a vocal melody.

Anything that we said an e-mail was likely to turn up in the lyrics that Mel wrote. I believe I said something in the title of the posting like “Maybe it sucks, but here it is anyway”. That showed up in the song. Then I said something about it being really hard to get the loose feel that some blues singers have, and sure enough a line showed up in the song about working hard to sound loose.

Teryeah joined in early on to add some crunchy Gretsch guitar goodness which just brought the instrumentation to life. Listening to him is an education in how to use an electric guitar to carry a song without dominating it. What a pleasure.

This is not a polished final recording. What you hear in this recording from Mel and Teryeah were really rehearsal takes. The tune needed an intro, and I got stuck trying to come up with one. Should have let Teryeah do it, but I didn’t. Basically I dropped the ball at that point, got seriously distracted, and… oh well. Now it is a blast from the past.

T

Ha - I remember this tune! :agree:

i enjoyed every second of that… i dont know about rehearsal takes it sounded great to me
i missed the golden age here on this forum the standerds must have been very high!
how old is that song?..have you heard what music people are posting these days… do you think its gone downhill?

Bright, that is an interesting question. But I can answer it better by expanding it. I occasionally frequent the Reaper web site and have listened to the music posted there as well as here for years. Incredible talent is on display in both forums. There seem to be waves where clusters of recordings that blow me away are posted. But I can’t say that there is an increasing or decreasing trend in the proportion of recordings that are really great. Its always different and always surprising. Someday one of the folks on one of these recording forums is going to make it big. I much prefer listening to the stuff you folks post than the pap that I hear on the radio. By the way, I have listened to your recordings, and you can go toe-to-toe with anyone in the genres you cover.

Now the short answer to your question: No.

Thanks for the kind comments on our recording. It was done in 2007.

T

EDIT: Can I borrow some of your Microsoft hair straightener? A riff I played this morning was so bad that it curled my hair.

Quote:

dings that are really great. Its always different and always surprising. Someday one of the folks on one of these recording forums is going to make it big. I much prefer listening to the stuff you folks post than the pap that I hear on the radio.

100% agree.

Tina, we are at the beginning of a New Golden Age.

Which I have just decided will be the working title for my FAWM 2011 collection, and not Sluggard. :laugh:
Quote: (tspringer @ Jan. 31 2011, 5:48 AM)

I much prefer listening to the stuff you folks post than the pap that I hear on the radio.

I would be kinda cool to have an n-track radio station. Online webby thing. Just streaming our songs over and over. I'm sure we could find enough songs to make a few hours worth without trying too hard.

I really enjoy listening to the songs around here but sometimes there is too much friction to find headphones, or go into the studio and fire everything up. And then when you do, you listen to one song and it's over in 3 mins and you have to go find another. A streaming of all the songs would be great fun.

Hmmmm