University at 36?

Am I being foolish here?

After all the crap I’ve been through this last year my outlook has completely changed, and I’m now thinking of doing a job that I actually love…instead of something I hate just to put food on the table.

I’ve found a couple of part time courses…one for performing arts in music and the other for the music business in general.
I figure at the very least I’ll make some useful contacts.

At 36 I might be mixing it with people young enough to be my children though…

Whatchya think?

Hi spreadercraig:

Good-for-You…
It’ll open up some doors and put you in circles you’d never thought you’d find yourself being, in…

It’ll keep you young and all…
Really nice…
:agree:
:)
:laugh:

Are they Half semester cources ????

Bill…

Hi Bill

They are 10 week courses that start in January and give a certificate in something or other… :laugh:

However they are run by industry pros that have worked with the likes of Celine Dion and Shania Twain…

I fancy it…but don’t want to look like the old fool at the back who nobody talks to… :;):

Quote: (spreadercraig @ Nov. 28 2009, 4:37 PM)

Am I being foolish here?

After all the crap I've been through this last year my outlook has completely changed, and I'm now thinking of doing a job that I actually love....instead of something I hate just to put food on the table.

I've found a couple of part time courses....one for performing arts in music and the other for the music business in general.
I figure at the very least I'll make some useful contacts.

At 36 I might be mixing it with people young enough to be my children though....

Whatchya think?

No. Never to young to learn.

PACO

i was 24 with a family when i started university and felt old. but i meant several 40-somethings who did just fine. one was an EXCELLENT classical singer with whom i got to perform right before graduation, a long lost piece (bachiana brasilera #5) by heitor villa-lobos with her soprano and me on classical guitar and it was great. best performance i’ve ever been a part of, regardless of genre. i wish there was a recording of that.

Go for it at any time.
I went back in my mid 20s and although I was out of sync with the “hip” music of the period, I did very well.
And, you have the wisdom of what has gone before.
You would be suprised at what has been forgotten from past generations about “old time” superior music, put it to your use.

Hi Again Gents:

University Education is something you take there as opposed to something you take from the experience…
I think you’ll be surprised as to who you’ll meet there and connect with…
I’ll bet you’ll become the person that the other people in the class will be drawn toward… You’ll be the envy of some of the other students…
You may even end up in the movie business…
or…
something…
Don’t forget…
look around to see who’s doing the same thing…
Doors open in mysterious ways…
and they open because you want them to …

Bill…

[EDIT]… They don’t let me there anymore… The other time I was around the university they wouldn’t allow me to return… They told me I didn’t know enough numbers-and-letters…

I am a big proponent for education.

You are never too old. Like Bill said it is something you can take with you where ever you go. It opens doors.

Eyup!

Craig, don’t even give it a second thought mate, go for it.

I did a years course in computer internetworking at 52 years old. All the other students were in their early 20’s.
Absolutely no problem.

A mate of mine went back to uni to do a Masters degree, then on to a PhD at 50. He is loving it and once again, no problem about the age gap.

It really is all in your mind.

The biggest problem you will have is funding :)

Steve

Yep, go for it.

My wife has just finished her (part time) degree at the age of 44. It was hard going at times but we are both glad that she did it.

Besides, at 36 you’re still young.

Mark

Average age at my little 2 year school is a bit over 28. Lots and lots and lots of folks are retraining, starting a second or third career, or just going back for the fun of it. Any why not? My wife is in a graduate program in English Lit right now, after having done graduate degrees in music. It’s just not unusual anymore, Craig, at least over here. Plus, teachers and younger students love having older folks in the classroom. Last few years we had an octagenarian couple taking philosophy courses, and the other students loved them. So did the teachers (I co-taught it with another philosopher, a course on the philosophical issues in the creationism/evolution debate - one of the two older students was an ardent atheist and the spouse a hard core creationist).

So don’t even think about it being weird. It isn’t now, if it ever was. There is something you love to do, the best path is usually through formal education, you have the chance to do it, it’s be stupid (ahem, excuse that) not to.

It doesn’t matter what you do Craig. IMO you’ll be a winner in what ever you do! :agree:
The only thing I would add is a question: Is there anyway to get the same education and experiances, with out going futher in debt? ??? I think it’s a fair question to ask.

Find a job you love and you’ll never have to work again:-)
Go for it, geezer!
I’ve got a buddy who’s just turned fifty and just finished an arts and media degree
- he was and is mixing with folk younger AND older than him - all for the love of it.
I’m 47 and still thinking about it. One day:-)

Well thanks chaps!!

I have a few options really. Uni, which leads to a more recognised qualification, or a hands on course in a recording studio (I’m thinking more the latter now simply because of the contacts I might make) but both have concessions (thanks for that thought Levi)

Whatever…I’ve made up my mind to do something now. Thanks all!!!.

:agree:

In my opinion (and strictly my opinion) University would be a poor choice for you - some kind of hands-on training or internship at a recording studio would be far more useful.

(Okay - throw your rocks now)

Seriously though, the University experience is meant for the young and any future employer in the Audio Field who is impressed by your University training isn’t likely to be an employer you’ll stick with.

Learn from some Pros - not from some academics.

Strictly my opinion - AMMV.

Yeah Bill. Could be right there…AND the hands on course interests me a lot more.

Thanks for the input :agree:

Bill, I dunno if “Uni” means something different where you guys are, but here that idea that it is part of the cycle birth-school-work-death has sort of gone out the window. Here it’s meant for whoever wants to do it. Age has become progressively less and less relevant.

“Bah…Education is for idiots.”

(don’t think there is a smiley big enough for that statement)

"phnurrrr"

those who ‘can’t’, teach. those who can’t teach, teach teachers. :laugh: