Unwanted phasing effect on vocals

Sorry, Tina, but I still haven’t got my machine back, so haven’t got n-T in front of me and my powers are like that of a goldfish. My craptop won’t even run the pdf manual. I’m not familiar with your set-up but if you can see your card/interface in n-T prefs then you can control it from there. In Audio Devices.

the mixdown bit rate is a simple menu item - If you know wherre to find it.
To Mixdown:
Goto File > Mixdown Song
Name the new file that will be created.
the mix down box open
At the lower left corner of the screen is a “button” that says More Options - click on that
you now have “More Options” including choosing what parts you want to mix and at what bit rate and sampling rate along with some other settings.
I am sure you know that CDs have to be made at 16 bit and 44,100 samples to play correctly. So, unless you are going to do more processing, or burn the Cd with another program that will set the proper CD settings, you might as well let Ntrack mix-down to 16 by 44,100.
I hope this helps.
I’m sorry that we haven’t been able to help with the phasing problem. I just have not heard of having phasing that could not be corrected with the phase shift I mentioned in an earlier replay.
Bax

I’m just clutching at straws Bax, & wondered if it was alright to have 16 bit & 24 bit files in the same song?

Bax! Tina is getting multiple tracks when recording. Tina! Is that correct? Could it be that the record mode is set to audio/midi causing some oddities with soundcard?

When we record the song we get 2x24bit mono tracks, when we mixdown we get 16 bit stereo. we have imported the 16 bit stereo mixes back into the song, is that bad? dont really know what i’m talking about

That is not good.

You don’t want different bit rates in a song.

Bax has pretty much laid out how to make sure your mixdowns are 24 bit.

If using different bit rates was the problem this should fix it, let us know.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

Tina, the reason WHY, after you mixdown, that your audio is in 16-bit instead of 24-bit is because all audio files (with the exception of DVD) are 16 bit. Yes, that’s right, even CD’s are 16-bit. MP3, wav, WMA, all of it is 16 bit, and the only 24 bit audio available to most ppl is on dvd disk.

If you’ll look in the geekspeak thread :laugh: you will see a thread called 16-bit vs 24-bit where we talk a little about why this is so.

-Danny

Hi All:

I haven’t seen this discussed in any detail yet, this topic… SO…
Can I be permitted…
in my Bluenose dialect ???? :whistle:

This is what I see when I create a mixdown file from the perspective that I see…

When I make the command to mixdown, the first screen I see is “Select the destination file for the song mixdown”…

At this point, I am gonna give the mixed down song a name…
I will add a date-code, to the named song as well…
When the mixed-down screen accepts the newly named song the screen closes and the “Mix down Song” screen opens…
Then …
check the new name in the “output” field"
At this time I will open more options…
This will show a series of commands to check when the “MIXDOWN” begins…

“Interval to mixdown” “Entire song” or “From”
Make sure you hi-lite the tracks you choose to mixdown…
AND check to make sure that the tracks are not “MUTED”…
Next…
“File format Bits”
If you are working with 24-bit files
then, check that box…
OR whatever file bits you are working with…
For me, AND at the present the files are mostly 16-bits… I rarely use the Sound-card’s settings…
Then…
STEREO or MONO…
The default is stereo…
Process Master Channel…
Sampling frequency
MAKE SURE YOU HI-LITE the SAMPLING FREQUENCY…
Next…
Hi-lite the proper Sound card if you have more than one sound card within you machine…
Next…
If you are keeping your sampling frequency
Don’t use Dithering)
Next…
The Effects tails length…
The default is 1.00 sec… “Use 5.00 sec.”…
That is optional…
However…
The “Tail-out Time of a song is usually 5.00 seconds”…
Not all the time…
BUT…

Next…
“Shift mixdown file according to plug ins latency”
is default…
OoHh…
At the top of the screen Mode…
“Offline mixdown” default
For me…
ALWAYS…

AND…

“NO Burning audio CD track”…

THEN…

when the command is “Checked-and-Given” the process begins…
When the process is completed, you are asked if you want to save the present file on the timeline…

At this point you may want to save the timeline as a .sng File…
If you choose to do that, then give the Timeline a “NAME-and-DATE CODE”
However, it should already be named…

AT this time you now want to have an “OPEN”/“NEW” timeline
NOW…
Import the newly mixed-down File unto the timeline…
AND
have a listen at your newly created song…
with no other .wav files on the timeline…
unless you choose to begin a new timeline with other .wav files to mix with your newly created .wav file/song…

That’s my .02 cents worth to this topic…

Bill…

EDIT…

Hi
dannyraymilligan:

IF…
When you choose to process the mixdown file in a different BIT-RATE than 16-bits, IS…
If you are creating files in 24-bit resolution and want to continue that resolution beyond the mixdown point you need to keep that res, till the last process in your STEPS…
You may need that res, to MASTER-or-WHATEVER…
Would it be correct, to say thaT ????

thanks everyone for persevering with this.
I will try again tonight (i only get time to do music stuff in the late evening)

We must have a really bad name on the internet, the Digital Director video forum where Sarah & Allison post is full of these long drawan out pleas for help aswell!

Tina

Quote: (dannyraymilligan @ Oct. 12 2010, 9:53 PM)

MP3 ... WMA, all of it is 16 bit,

No they aren't. Lossy formats such as MP3 and WMA do NOT have fixed bit depths.

As for your phasing issue, it sounds to me you are simply right on with your doubling. Post an example. Close to exact doubles will sound like this and can be an issue with really consistent (read good) singers. Try adding a 30-50ms delay to the doubled track so we can get it out of the Haas region.

Also, quit recording 2 mono tracks. Not that it is bad, it is just unnecessary:

I just re read that… NO, not all audio is 16 bit even in lossless formats.

Bubba! So, is n-T allowing/adding/causing? a tiny amount of off-set to the extra, unwanted track and thus creating the phase shift?

using the same bit rate for all files didnt make things better

thanks Bubbagump now we know howto stopthe other mono track

i tried to addd a delay to 1 track as you suggested but track properties/ offset wouldnt doit that small so i had to drag it & guess it. is there an accurate method to add a 30ms delay?
I’ve preppared 3 clips of the backing vocal to show the problem but dont know how i upload them here, if someone could tell me please?

Tina

Has adding the off-set delay made any diff’ to the phasing?
Stick 'em up on your sight and post a link or use one of the free hosting sites.

sorry tried to upload backing vocal clips using a free site, its total shite.
Anyone know a good one ?

Quote: (TonyR @ Oct. 13 2010, 3:36 PM)

Bubba! So, is n-T allowing/adding/causing? a tiny amount of off-set to the extra, unwanted track and thus creating the phase shift?

No, the tracks themselves are. Work with really good vocalists and if they essentially repeat the exact same performance again, you get this. This is the nature of phase. Two sources nearly identical but not quite causing comb filtering. By adding a delay you separate things (hopefully) enough to prevent this.

However, there is a reverb on this too. Any chance to hear it with out the reverb? Also, any auto tune being used? it may not be that the performances are so close as they are forced to be close via autotune.

Adrive.com

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

http://www.adrive.com/public…51.html

to keep things simple this is 1 take of the backing vocal then ive brought in the other take for the long note at the end when you will hear the funny phasing effect.
No autotune(havent got that)& nothing clipping during recording or playback, no compresion

delaying 1 track didnt seem to cure it but couldnt work outhow to delay acurately it by the amount you said

funny thing is Bubba that Allisons never considered herself a singer, let alone a good one!

thanks for Adrive jerm

Ok, no autotune… this sounds like obvious modulating of the two parts.

Go get the ReaPlugs from Reaper:

http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/index.php

The delay in there allows very accurate delay times to be entered.