v4.1.6 b2044

Flavio is back at IT…

For any of you who likes Bata Builds… Go have a peek…

I installed it on this Intel P-111 1.2 machine…

I’ll be playing with it today… There’s nothing else to do… It’s a storm day here today… everything is shut down… We can’t see across the street… May as well look at the CRT Tube…

Bill…

Installation issues! After more testing, I can’t get builds 2039-2046 to install at all under Win98SE (it freezes), and the single-user installation fails under Win2K and XP. Also, installation under Win2K fails to register the n-Track DirectX plugins (lots of error popups).

Haven’t had time to do a complete bug report, but that’s the gist of it. Shouldn’t be hard to reproduce. Bill, I know you’ve seen the Win98 freeze, and I was able to reproduce it on my own Win98SE box.

Just wanted to at least mention these issues here briefly.

Tony

“Import wav tracks from CD” caught my eye but I don’t think I’d ever use it.

Installation issues? None here so to speak of. I wonder if it’s to do with what previous versions of .net and n-track have been installed.

Mark

… is .Net2 supported on Win9x?

<!–QuoteBegin>

… is .Net2 supported on Win9x?

Here you go Duncan…

http://www.microsoft.com/downloa…Lang=en

From the above:

<!–QuoteBegin>
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP Service Pack 2

Simple answer: “Yes”.

HTH

Mark

Hi Mark A and duncanparsons:
When I got tho the MicroSoft Page and had a peek around, I see where the installer v3.0 needs to be updated to v3.1 for x86… whatever??

Does that mean… and I stand corrected… '98SE users… needs the installer .exe v3.1 , installed? Installer v3.0 is not supported by '98SE desks… Or… Am I not understanding, something?

Bill…

Quote (woxnerw @ Feb. 01 2006,06:32)
… It’s a storm day here today… everything is shut down… We can’t see across the street…

(Thread derail, sorry)

Here in Toronto it’s 8 C.My front yard has been mud since about New Year’s…

Guess I’ll hafta call my brother in Dartmouth to get him to describe snow to me :D

Good luck, keep warm.

Quote (Mark A @ Feb. 02 2006,00:00)
Installation issues? None here so to speak of. I wonder if it’s to do with what previous versions of .net and n-track have been installed.

I’m guessing you’re using XP, Mark? You won’t see any problems on XP if you install for “Everyone”; the installation only fails under XP if you do the single-user installation (i.e., “Just me”). Same thing happens under Win2K.

If you’re using either Win2K or 98SE and had no problems installing builds 2039-2046, I’d be interested. Tested three Win2K boxes, two XP boxes, and one 98SE box (but woxnerw saw the same bug on his 98SE box, too)–all have different hardware/drivers, but the errors were consistent for each OS.

Geez, I need to stop gabbing and finish my bug report! :D

Tony

Quote (woxnerw @ Feb. 02 2006,05:47)
Does that mean… and I stand corrected… '98SE users… needs the installer .exe v3.1 , installed? Installer v3.0 is not supported by '98SE desks… Or… Am I not understanding, something?

Bill…

Requirements from the MS .NET 2.0 download page:
<!–QuoteBegin>
Windows Installer 3.0 (except for Windows 98/ME, which require Windows Installer 2.0 or later). Windows Installer 3.1 or later is recommended.

HTH…
Tony

Hi All… On this thread:
I’m hesatant? to install beyond build 2037 on these '98SE desks…
When I got the install hanging on higher builds … I don’t know what I did to revert back to build 2037… but now… I’m frightened to install to a higher build…
Whatta think? Guys…
If I do… how should I proceed? Any Advise?

Bill…

P.S. Hi archimedes… This weekend… the forcast is for record high temperatuers… for this time of year…
It’s going to 8-12c… so-they-say
That’s gonna take everyone to flood control… It’s gonna rain Cats-and-Dogs… :O ???

Hi Scantee:
I guess I’m Screwed up… ? Can you give me a Blow-by-Bolw on thes '98SE desks? for going beyond build 2037… All I know is… this build works on '98SE … Higher than that… I’m in trouble… BIG Issues…

I’m hearing NO Installer v3.1 for '98SE??

Bill…

Hey Bill,

You’re not screwed up…n-Track builds after 2037 or 2038 just don’t seem to install on Win98SE, period. It freezes up (as you know). And there is no Windows Installer 3.0 or 3.1 for 98SE; it only goes up to 2.0.

Actually, to be precise, I should say I haven’t gotten a working installation of the said builds on 98SE. 2044 apparently installed once by continuing from a failed 2042 install, but n-Track would freeze up on boot.

Tony

Hi Today:
This morning I downloaded build 2046 and installed it on my Editing XP Desk. I didn’t get to the Finish screen… The Desk went on to a Re-Boot… When the Desk appeared, a screen popped up saying, it was unable to find msvcr71.dll I went to a Manual Re-Boot to see what would happen… The Pop-up screen re-appeared… So, I did what the screen suggested… I did a re-install of build 2046… and all worked just fine…

This is the XP Desk… on a P-111 intel 1.2mhz 512 meg. Box… Latest MicroSoft and AVG deffinitions, as of today…

Bill…

Ok Win2K and 98SE users: it looks like the new 4.1.6 Beta build 2048 fixes the major installation issues I mentioned, and I didn’t even put in the formal bug report like I said I would. (Thanks, Flavio!) The “single-user” installation problem under Win2K and XP is still there, though. I’ll get this reported tonight…

Tony

Hi Scantee:
This looks pretty nice… If I make a visit into the studio today, do you think I’ll be able to install build 2046 on those '98SE Desks? And… Should I be able to install them Over the builds I have working on those desks?

Or, would IT be better to install build 2046 by un-installing and Cleaning the registry from any n-Track reminants?

You see… I haven’t been able to Record any tracks with the '98SE Desks sense I ran into the install issues with build 2037, way back when… The P-111 would just give me a BLUE SCREEN when I pushed the record button and would do a “Stack Dump” of the memory. It also gave a TERM for the Blue Screen… If I remember it was called a Pool_Call… or something…

The screen said I needed to re-install the applications that I was useing, to FIX the problem…I think that it even included the Hoontech STA 2000 Hardware… I am unable to see how that affected the both Desks on these Dual Boot Machines… But I am unable to run the audio hardware on the '98SE or the XP Desks.

Bill…

Hey Bill,

Quote (woxnerw @ Feb. 05 2006,00:16)

If I make a visit into the studio today, do you think I’ll be able to install build 2046 on those ‘98SE Desks? And… Should I be able to install them Over the builds I have working on those desks?

To make it perfectly clear, it’s build 2048 that fixes the installation issues on Win 98SE; don’t bother with 2046–it won’t install on this OS, AFAICT. On my own 98SE box, I was able to install build 2048 over the previous failed/partial 204x installations–the installer would apparently undo the changes from those builds first beforehand. It wasn’t completely smooth-sailing (visual glitches when using n-Track just after installation), but after a reboot, things worked ok.

Or, would IT be better to install build 2046 by un-installing and Cleaning the registry from any n-Track reminants?

n-Track uninstalls currently installed versions before installing itself (at least these 4.1.x builds seem to), so you probably don’t need to use Add/Remove Programs to remove the previous build. As for the registry cleaning, that might be a good idea as long as the registry cleaner doesn’t overdo it and damage the registry in the process…
Personally, I ran the ol’ RegClean tool once before running the 2048 installer, since I hadn’t done it in a while.

The P-111 would just give me a BLUE SCREEN when I pushed the record button and would do a “Stack Dump” of the memory. It also gave a TERM for the Blue Screen… If I remember it was called a Pool_Call… or something…

Now, I never got a blue screen with these recent builds of n-Track; about the worst I got was system freeze-up during installation (which 2048 fixes). Blue screens could indicate driver issues, but we’d need more info on what the error was. Of course, if previous versions of n-Track 4.1.x worked fine on the same box/same drivers, n-Track may be the problem. Need more info, basically…

The screen said I needed to re-install the applications that I was useing, to FIX the problem…I think that it even included the Hoontech STA 2000 Hardware… I am unable to see how that affected the both Desks on these Dual Boot Machines… But I am unable to run the audio hardware on the '98SE or the XP Desks.

I don’t know anything about the Hoontech STA 2000, so I don’t want to mislead you with wild-@ss-guesses, but if both of the OSes on your dual-boot machine started having issues at the same time, you might also need to look beyond Windows and n-Track and just check your hardware–y’know, reseat your RAM and PCI cards (sound, video, etc.). If it doesn’t help, you might try reinstalling your video and soundcard drivers. I’m not an expert, but that’s where I’d probably start, FWIW.

Tony

Hi Bill
I sold my complete studio about 2 years ago and just recently wanted to put a recorder on my home computer.To make a long story short I am running Win Me and N Track 3.3 was the last build I was running when I stopped so like the nut that I am I said what the #### I’ll upgrade to the latest.That was a joke.I downloaded and sat here for 30 min the program got to a point and that was it.I cleaned the Reg.,removed all NTrack and downloaded Build 1811 and installed.Here is what is strange I didn’t get build 1811,I got build 2042 the one that locked up before.It works so I left it alone.I had MS net framework 2.0 at the time.That is what made me notice your concerns about this.I may remove frame work 2.0 and download another and try again.If that dont work I dont know what to do. ???

Out of curiosity (please do not take this as ignorance) but I see a lot of posts here referring to Windows 98SE and Windows ME …

Can I ask why anyone would still be using these BSOD riddled (among other issues) OS’s?

Don’t get me wrong, I love the MS operating systems (Linux has a long way to go before being even remotely user friendly and Mac OSX is all shiny flash without the average joe, end user intuitiveness), but 2000 and, especially, XP are so much more stable than any pervious offerings …

Quote (sticknick @ Feb. 05 2006,23:49)
Can I ask why anyone would still be using these BSOD riddled (among other issues) OS's?

Several possible reasons.
- No soundcard support for anything post-98se/ME. That's why I had ME up until an year ago when my Isis finally kicked the bucket.
- Machine specs not up to latest OS requirements.
- 98/ME is installed and paid for. Buying an OS costs money.
- "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
- Slightly paranoid conviction that the newer MS products have some hidden extra "features" you don't want to have on your machine.